X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A walk in the park

Today the wife and I had a nice walk for a few miles along the beachfront of a local town.
    Our teenage daughter also came, but walked a few yards behind us so people wouldn't associate her with the 'guy in the kilt'

I was interested to note that of all the reactions, most of which were little more than a friendly nod at best, the biggest smile came from an Indian lady sitting in a car with her husband/boyfriend.

Her eyes really lit up and it left me wondering why, could it be that she just likes kilts, or that in her home country it is common to see men in unbifurcated garments. I didn't have a chance to ask so I am left guessing.
    It's not unusual to find a more accepting attitude from Asian people. I'm not sure why.

Further along a group of girls ran past, they wore a sports uniform that included a very short, navy pleated skirt and long white socks.
    When we passed them doing stretching excercises I joked that their "kilts" were much shorter than mine.

They took it in good humour.

Another lovely day kilted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Graham, here we have a fair sized Hmong population. The elder generation seems to take my kilts in stride and hardly notice. The younger Hmong though, are a different story. The men tend to be hung up in some old macho image thing and the women almost get whiplash getting a second or third look and giggle alot. The ones where my wife works are getting used to it though, since I walk over to meet her every night when she finishes work. The ones that reacted the least are the guys in Manitainance with comments like nice kilt and what Clan. The Security people always seem to be shocked.

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba
    Graham, here we have a fair sized Hmong population.......................
    Bubba,

Another dumb question from an ignorant across-the-ponder:

Who or what are the "Hmong"? That's a new one to me.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmong are a people that live in areas of Viet Nam, Cambodia and Laos. Large numbers of them fought with the US and fled from their homes where we pulled out. We have a large population of them in the US and some recently left refugee camps in Indonesia and are one their way to the US now so we'll be getting more of them soon. 300 are coming to my area to join family that are already here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Graham,

Your story of the girls jogging reminds me of a time a couple of weeks ago when one of the regular lassies walked in with her jogging skirt on. It looks close to a tartan, Well I was wearing my Maple Leaf from Bear and her skirt was a little lighter in color. What did we do but dance around the coffee shop, everyone loved it.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba
    Hmong are a people that live in areas of Viet Nam, Cambodia and Laos. Large numbers of them fought with the US and fled from their homes where we pulled out. We have a large population of them in the US and some recently left refugee camps in Indonesia and are one their way to the US now so we'll be getting more of them soon. 300 are coming to my area to join family that are already here.
    Many thanks for that, Bubba.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GMan
    Graham,
    What did we do but dance around the coffee shop, everyone loved it.
    You never did!! you show off, no wonder you get free meals, so that's how you do it, you dance for your dinner!

Did I tell you of the time I was hiking in the Tassie Highlands, I met a wee japanese lady who told me she did Scottish Country Dancing in Tokyo, she loved my kilt and we danced around the top of the mountain.

Every day in a kilt is a celebration!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Hmong community in the south of the state. I don't know them, but they grow veggies and sell them at the market. They seem very friendly and close-knit people.

They are also a very persecuted people, even recently Hmong Christians are suffering terribly for their beliefs.
    http://www.asianews.it/view.php?l=en&art=506

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Graham, they are very family oriented, and I mean extended family, and hardworking independent people. I like them in general even though some folks don't. When they first came here there was alot of cultural conflict. They've adapted well around here and generally their kids are top students. The younger generation is pretty much Americanized but their elders seem to manage to keep them from forgetting their cultural roots.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast