X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Curled Pleats

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curled Pleats

After removing my basting stitches from my new SWK casual and wearing it a while, I noticed three pleats curled outwards towards the end or middle. They're on the left side of the apron. They're quite warped. Any way to fix this without ironing? Also, do any fellow SWK kilt owners have this issue?
    Last edited by ClanHanson; 20th June 14 at 05:02 PM.
    "Any amount of cheese on a date is too much cheese."

-Mac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a pressing cloth with lots of steam and an iron, press don't use standard back and forth like ironing a shirt. I learned that here.
    Ron (Riverkilt) also sold me on the idea of using clothes pins when the kilt is hanging though I don't use weights like he does, not that I don't think it is a great idea. I have just never gotten to that step.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never owned a Stillwater kilt. Works for cotton and PV kilts. After washing, hang a weighted clip to each pleat and let the kilt dry. The gentle weight should pull the pleats into line. Imagine it may depend on the craftsmanship in the kilt...can't be easy to learn to sew up kilts in any price range.

I make the weighted clips from extra plastic hanger clips sold in bags at big box stores next to where they sell the hangers. Then I buy half ounce fishing weights an gaffer tape a weight to each side of the clip. Count your pleats to see how many clips and weights to buy.

Hang the drying kilt from probably three hangers across a shower rod... I can get a kilt clipped up in less time than it takes to set up the ironing board and get the iron heated up. AND....don't have to wrestle with the kilt on the ironing board. Ham irons his kilts spread out on the floor. A great idea if you wanna iron.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely had that problem due to the way the kilt was folded for shipping (plus a couple extra creases). Ironing seemed to fix it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This usually happens if the hip sew down is a little bit smaller than your actual hip measurement or at a different height. I adjust usually the under apron pleats under fold and the adjoining under pleats under fold so that it all hangs neatly on my body.
    Use the appropriate temperature setting and a press cloth with steam to remove and then establish the new fold. I do it light until I like the hang. Then I heavy press it in.

After the initial "fitting" is OK, I use Ron's clip hanger and clothes pin routine for hang drying. It only takes 3 to 7 minutes here. (Weighted clothespins here is only for my Utilikilts.)
    Last edited by tundramanq; 13th July 14 at 02:12 PM.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.