X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the charcoal waistcoat with the shawl lapels in your OP will work great with that tartan, provided that it's not too long as mentioned above. I've had the bottom of a waistcoat shorted and it went from a pointed bottom to a straight bottom. I really like the result.

People on this board might erroneously conclude that because I tend to wear my kilt traditionally most of the time, I don't approve of contemporary approaches. That's not the case. I just think some modern twists work very well while other, "I'll wear whatever I want" ideas look ridiculous. When people ask for my opinion, I'll share it.

If you're going to break the conventions, it can't be random. It needs to do it with a bit of an artist's hand.

I think you have a good sense of personal style and would encourage you to trust your own instincts. They seem to be working well for you.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cck View Post
    Remember, in buying a vest/waistcoat that one not designed to be worn with a kilt may be a little long and interfere with the sporran. Depending on the fit of the vest and your body type, some will work. I've had to modify a couple to get the proper look.
    Maybe it's because I buy a lot of vintage waistcoats from Camden market, but I haven't had any issues with the length of them interfering with sporran. Either that, or I'm just very very lucky! lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCAC View Post
    Sorry, but I'm having trouble getting my head around these er what colour this should I wear with that threads. I f you were wearing trousers, would you even think about asking someone else the question? Much less going on a trousers forum to post about it. Take one that you thinks looks good and roll with it. Sheesh!
    Actually, when I'm wearing jeans or trousers, I go through the same thought process/approach. Maybe it's just me, but I want to make sure I look good. This makes me feel good about myself and carry myself with confidence. Obviously, it's my own approach and isn't for everyone. However, particularly when it comes to wearing my kilts, a little bit of feedback from other experienced wearers can never be a bad thing. Plus, it's good to talk (or am I'm missing the point of this site?)

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to t_challa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by t_challa View Post
    Maybe it's because I buy a lot of vintage waistcoats from Camden market, but I haven't had any issues with the length of them interfering with sporran. Either that, or I'm just very very lucky! lol
    It's not so much that they interfere with your sporran, but that your sporran interferes with them. My only critique of your photo on the subway is that the points at the bottom of your waistcoat are being pushed up and outward by your sporran rather than laying flat. There are pics of that happening to mine on here as well, which is why I took one particular waistcoat in to be shorted. It will likely not be the last one I shorten.
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    It's not so much that they interfere with your sporran, but that your sporran interferes with them. My only critique of your photo on the subway is that the points at the bottom of your waistcoat are being pushed up and outward by your sporran rather than laying flat.
    I get what you mean. To be honest, that particular waistcoat I got from Topman (years ago), but I have been thinking about having it shortened/flattened, as the only time i wear it is with that kilt. Any suggestions on a good place where I can get it altered?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by t_challa View Post
    I get what you mean. To be honest, that particular waistcoat I got from Topman (years ago), but I have been thinking about having it shortened/flattened, as the only time i wear it is with that kilt. Any suggestions on a good place where I can get it altered?
    I'm in Toronto so I can't recommend a local shop, but any tailor should be able to handle this job.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have no troubles wearing 'Saxon' waistcoats with kilts. (The kilt? The kilts? oi oi)

I really like that Charcoal Grey with the tartan. Grey has the effect of subduing or toning down tartans with strong pure colours like Black Stewart. For whatever reason I'm having a hard time imaging Lovat Blue or Lovat Green (which go with about every tartan there is) with Black Stewart. Or brown.

Yes I'd probably go with grey.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    I'm in Toronto so I can't recommend a local shop, but any tailor should be able to handle this job.
    Oops! Didn't realise you were in Canada Nathan. My bad. Next time I'm in Toronto visiting my uncle and aunt I'll definitely bring a kilt with me though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I really like that Charcoal Grey with the tartan. Grey has the effect of subduing or toning down tartans with strong pure colours like Black Stewart. For whatever reason I'm having a hard time imaging Lovat Blue or Lovat Green (which go with about every tartan there is) with Black Stewart. Or brown.

Yes I'd probably go with grey.
    That's what I was thinking. I didn't want a black one (as I think that's a bit too formal for casual everyday use). Other colours just didn't seem to go with it (just couldn't picture it either). And the back of the grey waistcoat I originally posted is amazing.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	19671
    Last edited by t_challa; 22nd June 14 at 04:19 PM.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to t_challa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread closed at OP request.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12