X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kiltless in France

In order to keep peace in the family I agreed not to wear a kilt while we were on vacation in France.

The first person we visited proceeded to show us a picture of her son at a wedding here. And, yes, in a kilt.

Next time I will be kilted.

Toute a fait!

Casey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Casey... despite the fact that we members of this forum generally agree amongst ourselves and many of us continue to have many positive experiences, we sometimes forget that the "DNA" of the trouser paradigm runs deep. As far as the attitudes of the general public is concerned... who cares. However, at least half of us continue to have acceptance issues with family members... me included, and that does matter. Certain personality types will never be inclined to change from the old attitudes despite being shown the truth. Others will accept change but only gradually and with much persistance and yet continue to harbor doubt. There's no simple answer to this. Hope you enjoyed the trip despite the denial.

Martin S
    Shame on you for not wearing your kilt in France (OK, I understand the reasons – family feelings are important).
    The French seem to have little curiosity about kilts. First they pretend not even to notice what I am wearing. The few comments I have had have been friendly. I have never had anyone touch my kilt or try to raise it – behaviour that has been reported from other parts of the world, and which quite amazes me.
    I'm sure your holiday here would have been no different (except comfort-wise) kilted or bifurcated.

As it happens, a small group of kilties gathered yesterday at a "Franco-British day". There was not much going on in fact, but at least the sun was shining and there were some free drinks. The only comments were from a group of Pakistanis (who had come for the cricket match); they asked to have their photograph taken with us. The French people were quite indifferent.

Why is there a group of kilties in Grenoble?
    Quite simply because I run a Scottish country dance group here, and all the men (only 8, Brits & French) have kilts.

Martin,
    In Grenoble, France

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Martin, glad to hear of your involvement in SCD, the wife and I have been into it only since last Nov, I love it!!

Where else can you spend an evening listening to fyne music, getting good exercise, dancing with pretty lassies and wearing a kilt.............all at the same time!