X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glengarry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glengarry

Highland Regiment Brooch.jpgHow do you put a badge on a Glengarry without tearing up the ribbon? My badge has what looks lie a cotter pin that goes through 2 eye posts.
    Last edited by RLDaily; 28th June 14 at 07:46 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A photo of the back of the badge would be far more helpful for giving advice than the front. It would appear that there are two tabs that bend over on this badge .. is that correct? If so, I'm afraid you are going to have to put a couple of small slits in the ribbon the mount the badge. Most Glens have a gathered ribbon, so you might be able to hide your slits in the folds of the ribbon, so it is not too noticable. I little whip stitch around the edges should ensure that you don't have any frayed edges.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have sewn very small stitches through the ribbon or even used pins in order to preserve the ribbon. However, I believe the proper application was to just poke a hole all the way through the ribbon and bonnet. They were designed for military units, so they didn't change badges much!
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, that's a great idea; installing a couple of loops to attach the badge. It also means it is still transferable, as you suggest. IF RL does not wish to remove it, another suggestion would be to simply sew the badge to the ribbon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice badge.....always liked it but don't see it all that often. A (training) regiment that was short-lived.
    Last edited by Ron Abbott; 28th June 14 at 03:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The badge has been adopted by the "1st Highland Cavalry Regiment" on Facebook. We have a complete command structure and close to 300 members internationally.

Our colorsRegimental colors.jpg
    Last edited by RLDaily; 28th June 14 at 10:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    que?

Never heard of it.....is it some sort of make believe...or a re-enactors group?

The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (ex Royal Scots Greys) are Scotland's cavalry regiment. Not quite the same but also mounted were the likes of the Scottish Horse, Scottish Horse Yeomanry, Lothian & Borders Horse etc.

Nothing to do with the Legion of Frontiersmen I presume?
    I saw pics of some of them all dressed up in some sort of cavalryman type uniforms recently.

In fact, here's a rather amusing webpage :-

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Legion_of_Frontiersmen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check it out on Facebook, membership is open and here are some of the basic rules that we have.

We represent current and former warriors and interested civilians from around the world but with a keen fascination in all things Celtic and an appreciation of that heritage as well as a love of the history, e'lan and esprit de corps natural to all cavalry regiments around the world (No political discussions or comments. There are plenty of political pages on FB.). The rules for the group are quite simple. Whenever there is a Highland Cavalry Regiment sanctioned event, those of us who attend do so wearing your tartan. Preferably in a kilt but trews, ties, vests or plaids are also acceptable.

Further, A high regard of the British regimental system and the history and traditions of all line regiments, kilted and non-kilted, Commonwealth, Non-Commonwealth and United States as well as service in any armed branch of any country's military are also acceptable reasons to join the Regiment.

Lastly, all Troopers can recommend non-tankers or non-United States personnel to join this group so long as they have a sincere interest in our love and respect of Celtic heritage, military service, traditions and leave whatever political persuasion they have to their own FB page or other pages.

Caveat: Political discussions such as the causes of the Irish famine or Scottish diaspora are permissible but no left wing or right wing shouting matches regarding current political affairs for either side of the Atlantic or Pacific is allowed. As the Regiment is made up of Men, Women and Youth Cadets, we request restraint in the type of language and pictures posted to the Group page! We Set The Example!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/647600225291711/

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RLDaily View Post
    How do you put a badge on a Glengarry without tearing up the ribbon? My badge has what looks lie a cotter pin that goes through 2 eye posts.
    Personally, I think Glengarry badges don't 'sit' right unless the posts go through the Glengarry and the cotter pin is on the inside of the hat. Most Glengarry badges have rather long posts, intended for just that purpose.

To poke through the ribbon and especially the Glengarry itself is difficult, the ribbon because it tends to slide around and the Glengarry because it has layers of stiffening inside. I've always used a slightly tapered awl, though some people use an icepick. With my awl I can poke right through all the layers and slowly work the hole bigger until it's just big enough to shove the post through.

Here's a short thread about that badge

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...egiment-61416/

It seems that that battalion was raised in either 1942 or January 1943 and disbanded in 1949. Not sure if it was a Territorial battalion or a training battalion or what.

It's a very nice badge and it's fairly widely available. I suspect that most of the badges I've seen floating around are restrikes.

To someone like myself who, due to being in the piping scene for 40 years, has spent a lot of time around Scottish military people and read tons about Scottish military things, the concept of a "Highland Cavalry" organization has an odd ring to it, because as far as I know the Highlands are known for producing infantry. Perhaps it's because the topography of the Highlands doesn't lend itself either to cavalry or to tanks. Being from the mountains myself (West Virginia) and having driven through the Highlands of Scotland I can't see either place as being suited to traditional cavalry tactics or modern armour. The very things on that badge, the basket hilt sword and targe, were carried by Highland foot soldiers. Scottish cavalry being (I would think) traditionally from the Lowlands, there would not be the "Celtic" (Highland) component. Kilts and horses don't go together well...

If you're tankers interested in things Scottish then The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards is the natural unit to study, emulate, and connect with. You could contact some of those guys (current and former) and perhaps work out some sort of alliance between American and Scottish tankers.

These gentlemen:

http://www.scotsdgassn.org.uk/
    Last edited by OC Richard; 23rd July 14 at 04:11 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Abbott View Post

Nothing to do with the Legion of Frontiersmen I presume?

here's a rather amusing webpage...
    Now that's very odd!

How can an organization that doesn't actually do anything survive for over 100 years?

And exactly which 'frontier' are they referring to?

Oftentimes we here in America are amused by the apparently large number of eccentrics in England, the Flat Earth people and Battle of Hastings people and all... but we have our share too, it's a fact, especially our vast number of (American) Civil War people. (They re-enact the Battle of Gettysburg with the same number of participants as the original, around 60,000 on each side... amazing)
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast