X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: dress casual

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dress casual

so i was wondering - what to wear for dress casual? i actually reeeally like this look right here: http://campbellkilts.co.uk/product_i...products_id=94 (the gent in the blue, obviously). But how could i do something like that without all the ridiculous matching? and do i have to get a kilt-specific jacket like that, or is there a suitable subsitute out there? i always thought that all formal stuff was prince charlie and bowtie, but the more i read the more it seems like a tweed jacket and necktie are good for things other than weddings, graduation, tea with the queen, etc. thanks all. i've got a black stewart kilt (very casual, but nonetheless) if that helps anyone to make suggestions.

Miah is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say take the kilt with you to JC Pennys and find a nice black Jacket that the fabric is close to the same and go from there.

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miah
    I say take the kilt with you to JC Pennys and find a nice black Jacket that the fabric is close to the same and go from there.

That is a good suggestion. However, Seamus, do be careful that the jacket you find is shorter than one that would be worn with trousers!

Kilt jackets, formal or informal, are cut shorter than regular ones and they are cut away more at the front to accommodate the sporran. The shorter length has two purposes: perhaps most importantly, so as not to impede the movement, or swing, of the pleats but also to maintain the visual 'balance'. Put a regular sports jacket or blazer over a kilt and suddenly you will look all body and short legs. Try it, and you'll see what I mean!

Actually, although you drew our attention to the tweed Argyll day jacket, you used the word "casual".
    "Casual" to me means, T-shirts, sports shirts, sweaters, etc. The jackets I wear when dressed casually are generally of the 'bomber' style, with elasticated waist-bands. These do not hide the kilt at all.

Just my thoughts and sixpennyworth!!
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Casual? you want casual? well....I can help you there, Australians are as casual as you can get. Kilts and thongs (flipflops) that's what we do

seriously, my advice...look at piccies, LOTS of piccies and you'll see the "look" that suits you best for various occasions.

there are piccies aplenty on this forum and elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh no, i know casual. i wear tshirts and boots with mine usually. i'm talking dress-casual, i.e. wearing a shirt and tie with khakis as opposed to a full suit (in trouserland, that is). could you all use the link? i'm just talking about (with the kilt) wearing a necktie and tweed coat as opposed to an argyll/prince charlie with a bowtie. maybe i'm being completely redundant. i hope this makes more sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seamus,

I have just worn a tie, no jacket for many a business meeting, and that is casual enough for things like that. Like it has been said make sure that the jacket is short enough NOT to hide the kilt pleats and all. If the weather allows a sweater looks pretty neat with the kilt.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Miah is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tweed would be nice to have but i think it would be pricy. Still i think the local department store that stocks suits may be your best bet if you want to go a budget route. I wear bus. cas. at work and mostly it is polo shirt nice trousers. the same could be done with a kilt i think for sure if you step it up a sport coat would go well the department stores typicaly have a "helper" there tell them what you are shooting for and they could help you out i am sure.