X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    manavark is offline Registration voided at member request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking to purchase a new first time Kilt.

Hi, My name is Larry, from Missouri in the US. I could really use some help. I have been researching kilts for 3 months now and I know less now than I did when I started. I would like a decent Kilt without paying $3000 for it. Actually a Prince Charlie outfit with fly plaid. I have 2 dilemmas, the first being, I cant fly to Scotland to find an outfit, and the second is that no self respecting Missourian would buy anything sight unseen, especially over the internet, where anyone can claim what ever they wish. It is true, I know nothing about kilts except for what I have read, It seem that the majority say to get a hand sewn kilt and not a machine made one. The only kilt that I have even seen or touched was one from a gentleman I met on a cruise 2 months ago. He was a fine Scot gentleman from Glasgow. He had a kilt he wore to formal night and sit at the same table I was. I later got to examine the garment. Max proudly told me the outfit was tailored made by the company that calls themselves the Kings of Kilts. Now I am not a tailor, but when I looked at the sewing, the stitching was not good, the stiches were not even and the same length and also the tension of each stitch was not the same, the kilt looked beautiful across the room, but up-close, it lets a lot to be desired. My question is this, could anyone help me locate a nice outfit. I have admire the kilt for many years, but only recently want one for me. thank you all for your help Larry

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all welcome to the great rabble that is X Marks. I'm pretty sure you will find all the help you could want or need.

Now, to your questions.

$3000.00!!!!!!!!!! Wow, that is simply outrageous.

Most of the kilt makers I know charge between $300.00 and $400.00 for their labor to make a first rate quality, hand sewn traditional kilt. This is certainly true of the Traditional kiltmakers who advertise on this forum.
    The fabric for a traditional kilt will cost between $300.00 and $400.00 for 16oz wool.

Speaking for myself the most expensive kilt I have ever sold was a fully traditional, hand-sewn, in a custom woven fabric. This kilt retailed for $887.00cdn.
    This price included the fabric which was specially woven in the customers personally designed Tartan. Woven by one of the most respected weaving mills in the world, it was full 16oz wool.
    This price also included three pockets.

A Prince Charlie coatee and vest will run you between $360.00 and $500.00. This is made in either the UK or N. America and is first rate quality. Not fully bespoke perhaps but not made in Pakistan or Hungary either.

Please do not discount the N. American kiltmakers. Some of the best, most respected kiltmakers are now in N. America. In fact, what I would consider the the benchmark against which all other kilts could be measured, is made in up-state NY.

I'm sorry, but "made in Scotland" is no guarantee of a quality kilt.

I really think that the secret to getting a good kilt and outfit is communication. If the place you are dealing with does not talk to you personally go find somewhere that will. You should be able to know your kiltmaker.

One of the great things about this forum is that we are a very large, very picture loving group of very picky kilt wearers. I would guess that a good portion of the world's kilt makers and kilt resellers have been reviewed at one time or another.

So please do not get discouraged. If you need help this is the place to find it.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

3. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larry
    Firstly
    Secondly I would suggest looking at the vendors on this site or if you have a local tartan shop you should check them out as well. In my experience it is better to look for one piece at a time rather than purchasing a package outfit and risk looking like a cookie cutter Scot. I would also suggest looking at the 1 kilt 10 looks thread, here is a link to it:
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-attire-46888/

Steve alluded to a kilt maker in Upstate NY, he is talking about Barbara Tewksbury, she has made 2 kilts for me and I would suggest talking to her about your kilt as to my mind hers are the best bespoke 8 yard hand sewn kilts to be had on the market today.
    Last edited by McMurdo; 6th July 14 at 03:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Xmarks! I'm sure you'll be able to find all the info about kilts here. I know this is the first place I always look.
    Also the advertisers on the site have links to their webpage to view their craftsmanship. Their sites are all very nice and have photos of some of the kilts they make.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe my price is confusing, the $3000 price tag was for a complete Prince Charlie Outfit, not just the kilt. thank you so much for your help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you McMurdo, I really appreciate your advise, it really makes since to me to purchase everything separately, I admit I didn't like some of the choices the packages offered, especially those awful, ugly white hose ha. Larry

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from Reno, NV. best place to start is with the advertisers here on Xmarks. The advertisers forum is a good place to begin learning about the advertisers.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Richrail, I will do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larry,

What part of the show me state are you from? There is a place in Old St. Charles MO that is called Thistle and Clover that has some things and may be able to get you what you are looking for. There is also a place in Kansas City also called Midwestern kilt co. But at any rate welcome to the great rabble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you

I live south Of Springfield, thank you for the information.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast