X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a new feature of the forum.

Last month one of our members asked if there was a way to tag another member like you can do on facebook.

The idea was - that if you are mentioned in a post or a photo - or if someone thinks you may be interested in a thread - they can tag you. You would then get an email notification in much the same way as you get an email if someone replies to a thread you are subscribed to.

If you would all kindly look up near the top of this thread. Right below the top advertiser banner you should now see a new light blue bar titled "User Tag List".
    There should also be a "Tag User(s)" button.

Here are just some of the ways this new feature can be used;

* Let's say you see your friend mentioned in a post. you can let them know by clicking the "Tag User(s)" button. Then type in their username.
    They will get an email letting them know that you tagged them.

* If you see a friend in a photo and want to let them know. Tag them.

* If you want to bring a thread to someone's attention. Tag them. This can be useful to our advertisers. If someone asks a question of Rocky and you want to make sure he knows so he can answer the question - Tag him.

The email you will receive if you are tagged will tell you who tagged you and also give you a direct link to the thread where you were tagged.
    You can also check the times you have been tagged by going to your User Control Panel (UserCP). You should be able to see a new tab listing all the times you have been tagged.

Thanks to Rob (KiltedCodeWarrior) for finding and loading this add-on to X Marks. Well done.

OK folks, have fun, tag someone.

There is a second part to this add-on. It is a little more complex but also very cool. It is called "Mention".

Here is one way a Mention can be used.

* If you want to bring a thread to someone's attention. Tell them they were mentioned.

Here is how mentioning works.
    If you want to let someone know that they have been mentioned in a post, or you are mentioning someone and you want to let them know.

Simply type the "@" sign followed by the persons username. Like this - @The Wizard of BC, or @RockyR.

This "Mention" will also generate an email to the person to let them know they were mentioned.
    You may also check the 'Mentions" you have received in your UserCP just like your tags.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 10th July 14 at 08:02 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I know that guy! Good Job KCW (and you too Steve!) Cool feature!
    .................................................. ........................................ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    My Leatherwork Album
    - Feel free to look and critique - I'm just learning leather and welcome all help.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to HippieLee For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These should be interesting features. Check it out @ASinclair @Creag @creagdhubh @CMcG @xman @Orionson @TheOfficialBren @McMurdo @Dileasgubas ....

We'll see if I did that right!
    Last edited by Nathan; 11th July 14 at 07:20 AM.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Steve_Ashton Nice!

EDIT:

Didn't quite work how I thought it would. It pulled up Steve from Celtic Croft. I think it will be an invaluable tool for the forum though. Always 1 step ahead!

Let's try this again: @Steve Ashton
    Last edited by RockyR; 11th July 14 at 05:30 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While the @USERNAME is quick and easy and "in post", when you use the TAG USER function at the top, it will auto-fill the name if you start typing. Let's say I forget how to spell Creagdubh's name. Just type in Creag and the users with those letters in that sequence will pop up. Awesome tools!

As an active advertiser, I think it's a great tool and hope people will use it. If someone mentions USA Kilts in a thread and poses a question to me, I'd hope someone would take the time to tag me in the thread so I can SEE the question. It's not that I ignore threads purposefully, but I don't get on here as often as I'd like and I would hate to miss a question due to not having the time to look for it.
    Last edited by RockyR; 11th July 14 at 05:36 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to RockyR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool @Steve Ashton! It might not be possible but it would be amazing if one came relatively close to the spelling of a user's name that a couple of suggestions would come up. Some names are easier to remember than others.
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Nathan it works wonderfully.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Very cool @Steve Ashton! It might not be possible but it would be amazing if one came relatively close to the spelling of a user's name that a couple of suggestions would come up. Some names are easier to remember than others.
    When you use the TAG feature at the top, the suggestions DO come up. When typing @Nathan in the body of your text, no names come up (and it's not even certain the name you're typing is correct or the correct user). Moral of the story... WHEN IN DOUBT, use the tag feature. If you're POSITIVE, use the @.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyR View Post
    When you use the TAG feature at the top, the suggestions DO come up. When typing @Nathan in the body of your text, no names come up (and it's not even certain the name you're typing is correct or the correct user). Moral of the story... WHEN IN DOUBT, use the tag feature. If you're POSITIVE, use the @.
    I found it only worked when I was right on the money in the tag feature and not all the time. When I typed Tobus it came up but when I typed BCAC it did not. I tried to remember Anne the Pleater's handle to tag her but was unsuccessful.

Just as a point of clarification - I'm not denigrating these fantastic new features and there are work-arounds like opening another window and searching for a post by a user.

Another question on the tag thing. On Facebook for example, one can see who has already been tagged. I don't think that is the case here. If multiple users tag the same person, do they get multiple notifications?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    I found it only worked when I was right on the money in the tag feature and not all the time. When I typed Tobus it came up but when I typed BCAC it did not. I tried to remember Anne the Pleater's handle to tag her but was unsuccessful.

Just as a point of clarification - I'm not denigrating these fantastic new features and there are work-arounds like opening another window and searching for a post by a user.

Another question on the tag thing. On Facebook for example, one can see who has already been tagged. I don't think that is the case here. If multiple users tag the same person, do they get multiple notifications?
    Apparently, you now get a notification when someone QUOTES you as well!

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RockyR For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast