X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry1948 View Post
    Currently a number of people will write a simple phrase in a different language, and then translate it. That seems to be within the rules. Are you hoping to be able to write an entire post or paragraph in Gaelic, and then translate them? The problem that I see with this -- and it was noted by Jock Scot previously -- is that we have enough misunderstanding with English, and now have to add cross-cultural understanding of Gaelic in written form.... I think this could be compounding the problem, especially given that translations can differ. Whose translation would be correct if there is a disagreement? And how would the moderators know if there is a concern about what has been written?
    You are probably right, but we are not going to write always in Gaelic. For example if Robbie or Nathan gave me a reply in Gaelic, I would like to reply using the same language, also including a translation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, for one, do not like this idea. Yes, this is the Gaelic forum but if we start speaking something other than English here, what is to stop a Frenchman from wanting a french language forum or a Welshman from wanting a Welsh language forum? You can always speak whichever language you like in PMs.
    proud U.S. Navy vet

Creag ab Sgairbh

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to sailortats For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sailortats View Post
    I, for one, do not like this idea. Yes, this is the Gaelic forum but if we start speaking something other than English here, what is to stop a Frenchman from wanting a french language forum or a Welshman from wanting a Welsh language forum? You can always speak whichever language you like in PMs.
    I agree with you Sailortats but in my opinion Gaelic is not just another language. We can't forget that Ancient Gaels created our famous tartan and kilt.

Sorry, it's too late here in Europe...
    Last edited by Mairsial MacÙr'ille; 11th July 14 at 06:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't there a forum for those that wish to use the Gaelic?
    I've no objection using whatever language you want, if only on its own in dedicated threads, but if generally across the forum, then surely an English translation should go with it?
    As for the Gaels creating the tartan and the kilt, are you 100% certain that that is the case? Even the historians can't fully agree on that one. Even our modern word, 'kilt' most likely is not of 'Gaelic' origin.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Ron Abbott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 'kilt' was an old Norse word. Yes, there is a forum called 'Fòram na Gàidhlig', which seems to be the best place for the last redoubts of this language. And yes, the ancient Gaels probably used to wear trousers until the English came with their kilts and their useful language.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sailortats View Post
    Yes sailortats,
    That is another thing. If I'm not mistaken, Steve has said it well enough that this a forum dedicated to the "kilt", not language learning. As you can see, the kilt is a far reaching subject and quite overwhelming at times, though it is only one aspect of Scots culture. I think the OP wants Gaelic spoken more than just the occasional phrase with translation. And I thought I had this site figured out. Now I may have to learn an ancient language too.
    Cheers,
    KC
    "Never rise to speak till you have something to say; and when you have said it, cease."-John Knox Witherspoon

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KentuckyCeltophile For This Useful Post:

Mel1721L is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to learn Welsh,not easy at my age and living in Spain where I have only mastered a basic level but although I respect your desire to keep the ancient tongue and promote it, I don't think this is really the right place unless you had a dedicated spot. For those of us unfortunate enough not to have any known Scottish ancestry, but perhaps lucky enough that other Celtic nations have adopted the kilt, this forum can be a little daunting if not unfriendly at times. I think this could be a bit alienating. Just my feelings on the matter.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mel1721L For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't come here to teach Gaelic, but I'm not in a forum of kimono wearers, where Japanese would be respected. It's not my/our intention to write always in Gaelic, but I thought that here, and in particular in the Gaelic sub-forum, we could have the right to use it.

Gaelic is not just a language, it's a culture, and the kilt belongs to this Celtic culture. Some people started wearing the kilt because they have surnames like Macdonald or Maclean, and they give tribute to their ancestors, being proud of their roots, but just with an external appearance, not with a culture, and that's what I couldn't understand. As far as I'm concerned there was a period when kilts, bagpipes and Gaelic were il·legal in Scotland, because they all represented the same culture and identity.

Now I think this thread could be closed, I understand that Gaelic is not permitted. Nevertheless I will continue in this forum, and I offer my ability to anyone interested in clandestine Gaelic conversations about the Highland dress, or whatever.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Mairsial MacÙr'ille For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread closed at request of OP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12