X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gaelic deserves it!

I want to open a little debate about our language policy. We will have to respect our partners if they don't speak our language, so we can't write, for example, in German, Welsh, or dialects like Scots. But in my opinion we shouldn't forget that kilts were originated in the old Gaelic society, and today this dress represents a connection with Scottish and Irish culture wherever we are, furthermore, nowadays these endangered languages should be protected and promoted.
    There is a Gaelic sub-group in this forum where we can write about Gaelic, but never in Gaelic, and I don't consider myself, or any Gael as an obscurantist, it's not our intention to write private conversations in the middle of a thread.
    As far as I can see, these languages are legitimated to be used here, in this sub-group, and always with an English translation, which could be a great opportunity for every member who wants to learn these wonderful and interesting languages that are an essential part of their Celtic roots.

Well, I want your opinion, particularly the opinion of the moderators

Kind regards

Mairsial

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Mairsial MacÙr'ille For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mairsial,
    I'm no moderator and am quite new to the forum. I dabble in French and Spanish and would love to speak Gaelic. Clearly, you are very passionate about speaking it. However, I feel this forum is an international community used for information and education of the kilt. Information that deserves to be shared as you say. In your newbie thread, you and PiperofthePlains discussed things in Gaelic that I was curious to know and couldn't. I felt like an outsider, if you will. Might I suggest that this could be an opportunity for you to teach others the language. Otherwise, I agree with the rules that keeping a conversation that we all can't understand isn't the best thing for this community.
    Slàinte,
    KC
    "Never rise to speak till you have something to say; and when you have said it, cease."-John Knox Witherspoon

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to KentuckyCeltophile For This Useful Post:

Half Scot Half Pole is offline Membership voided at member request
    San Acacio in the Highlands of Southern Colorqdo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a newbie, I love to see written Gaelic even though I don't understand a word of it. Translations even better, real-time subtitles to a great Gaelic narrative.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Half Scot Half Pole For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, for one, like the idea seeing sentences or paragraphs of Gaelic with the English translation always included in the same post here in the Gaelic sub-forum.
    -Jonathan

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Godot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your answers.
    Yes, I think it was a great mistake, we should translate every word and expression, but Gaelic, especially Gaelic, should be a natural language here in our Gaelic sub-forum. Besides we are not going to speak Polynesian, this is the language of the first kilt wearers!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't help but observe, that we have more than enough misunderstandings here with just English and interpreters would a be wise addition for just that language. Never mind another one!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mairsial MacÙr'ille View Post
    Thank you for your answers.
    Yes, I think it was a great mistake, we should translate every word and expression, but Gaelic, especially Gaelic, should be a natural language here in our Gaelic sub-forum. Besides we are not going to speak Polynesian, this is the language of the first kilt wearers!
    SONO d'accordo! Credo che il suo grande per promuovere il gaelico, fintanto che tutti possono comprendere la conversazione.

Uh.... I mean, I agree! I think its great to promote Gaelic, so long as everyone can understand the conversation.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to TomFromBama For This Useful Post:

Los Altos (Silicon Valley), California, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As one who is in the slow process of attempting to learn a modicum of Scottish Gaelic in a place where I know not a single other speaker I can practice with, I would love to see more of it on the website in ANY section.

However, since even in Scotland the latest statistics show only about 1% or 2% of the population speaks Gaelic, it would seem to me that whenever it is used the courteous thing to do would be to always include an English translation when posting. That way, it could be used more frequetly all over the website (thus promoting the language) but also would not alienate any forum members AND would have the advantage / effect of actually teaching some Gaelic when it is used.

Just my two cents / two pence.

Slàinte!

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to CeilidhDoc For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very happy. But we can't write in other languages until it's legal. First of all, if the members and moderators agree, we will be able to make a little change in the forum rules to formalise this suggestion, where the moderators would include the languages (Scottish & Irish Gaelic) conditions (Where we can write bilingual posts) and point out that an English translation will be indispensable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mairsial MacÙr'ille View Post
    I want to open a little debate about our language policy. We will have to respect our partners if they don't speak our language, so we can't write, for example, in German, Welsh, or dialects like Scots. But in my opinion we shouldn't forget that kilts were originated in the old Gaelic society, and today this dress represents a connection with Scottish and Irish culture wherever we are, furthermore, nowadays these endangered languages should be protected and promoted.
    There is a Gaelic sub-group in this forum where we can write about Gaelic, but never in Gaelic, and I don't consider myself, or any Gael as an obscurantist, it's not our intention to write private conversations in the middle of a thread.
    As far as I can see, these languages are legitimated to be used here, in this sub-group, and always with an English translation, which could be a great opportunity for every member who wants to learn these wonderful and interesting languages that are an essential part of their Celtic roots.

Well, I want your opinion, particularly the opinion of the moderators

Kind regards

Mairsial
    Currently a number of people will write a simple phrase in a different language, and then translate it. That seems to be within the rules. Are you hoping to be able to write an entire post or paragraph in Gaelic, and then translate them? The problem that I see with this -- and it was noted by Jock Scot previously -- is that we have enough misunderstanding with English, and now have to add cross-cultural understanding of Gaelic in written form.... I think this could be compounding the problem, especially given that translations can differ. Whose translation would be correct if there is a disagreement? And how would the moderators know if there is a concern about what has been written?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast