X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sloan is a sept of which clan?

I know it is of gaelic origin "sluaghadhan" but I cannot find it on any sept lists. Thanks and slainte!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sloan could either be Irish or from the Galloway District

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To better assist you, can you tell us where your people are from?
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that sloan is a common irish name but it is also found in the chronicles of the picts. I do not know where the original immigrant was from but he/they probably immigrated to illinois first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a database of some 30,000 names and their variants. Sloan and Sloane are both listed as being associated with Galloway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a quick Google search I found http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....sloan/coa.html It talks about the Sloans in Scotland, England and elsewhere in Europe. It also shows the Scottish and English Coats of Arms.
    "Don't give up what you want most for what you want now."
    Just my 2¢ worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is from the Surname Database:

This long-established surname, widespread in Scotland and Northern Ireland, is an Anglicized form of the Old Gaelic personal name "Sluaghadhan", leader of a military expedition, from "sluaghadh", expedition, raid. The Chronicles of the Picts (inhabitants of North East Scotland) tells us that one Sluagadach went forth to Rome circa 966, and circa 1128; Slogadadh was the name of a leader of the bishop of St. Andrew's host. In the process of Anglicization "Sluaghadh(an)" has acquired many variant forms including: Sloan, Sloane, Slo(y)ne, Slowan, Sloyan, Slowey and Slo(e)y, the latter two examples are more specifically from "O'Sluaghaidh", descendant of Sluaghadh. Many references to these names appear in ancient annals of Ireland prior to the year 1200, but are very infrequent until the 17th Century. Among the earliest recorded namebearers in Scotland are William Slowane, who held a tenement near Dalkeith, Midlothian, in 1504, and John Sloane, who had legal possession of land in the parish of Traquair, Peeblesshire, in 1565. The 1659 Petty's "Census" of all Ireland lists Slowan as one of the most numerous names in the barony of Newry, County Down, and in February 1769, the marriage of Ann Sloan to Samuel Spencer was recorded at Lisburn, County Antrim. A Coat of Arms granted to the Sloan family depicts a red lion rampant, crowned with a gold antique crown, on a silver shield, the Crest being an eagle displayed proper. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Maelpatrick O'Sluaghadhaigh, or O'Sluaghaidh, which was dated 1015, in the "Annals of the Four Masters", during the reign of Malachy 11, High King of Ireland, 1014 - 1019. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

Also the National Trust name distribution map for the name Sloan shows it heavily concentrated on the west coast of Scotland (Kilmarnock in particular)
    http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/Ma...y=GB&type=name
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I could wear the galloway district correct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Theyoungkiltman View Post
    I see no reason why not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Theyoungkiltman View Post
    You could wear McLeod of Lewis, the Barclay, the American Bicentennial, or add 'ranger' to your name, become a 'sloan ranger' and wear the Harrods of Knightsbridge tartan!

Wear whatever tartan you like.

Most of the tartan 'MacName' thing is all romanticised, 'make believe' anyway. On the positive side, it's sure made money for Scottish industry and commerce and I do like wearing the kilt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast