X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Mel1721L is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Utility Kilt Question

I was thinking about a utility kilt as it seems a practical solution to hot weather where shorts and undies are uncomfortable and a traditional kilt not always possible.

However I'm a bit worried that they may appear kind of "gay?" No offence intended to anyone that happens to be that way inclined but I'm not comfortable with that possible perception and don't even know if they are looked on that way or not. No one here abouts wears one, then again there is only one other person I know who wears a kilt anyway. In other words it's am image question.

I'm also informed that they don't keep their shape and the pleats don't keep their sharpness.

My wife also thinks they look too much like a womans shirt.

I'd appreciate some feedback from those with experience of utility kilts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based purely on my own observations over a few years (which could be totally erroneous), they look to me - sloppy.

If you look up the "1 kilt - 10 looks" thread, you will see that a tartan kilt can be dressed up or down. I think it is almost impossible to dress up a utilikilt.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Chas For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Based purely on my own observations over a few years (which could be totally erroneous), they look to me - sloppy.

If you look up the "1 kilt - 10 looks" thread, you will see that a tartan kilt can be dressed up or down. I think it is almost impossible to dress up a utilikilt.
    Yes I think you are right, but I was thinking to work in where I don't want to mess up a traditional kilt or maybe just for slopping around in.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought about a Casual from USA Kilts for such tasks?

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to rlloyd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rlloyd View Post
    Have you thought about a Casual from USA Kilts for such tasks?
    The postage and tax I have to pay really limit what I can buy from America. I used to buy loads of stuff but the USPS postage went so high it was no longer worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1721L View Post
    Yes I think you are right, but I was thinking to work in where I don't want to mess up a traditional kilt or maybe just for slopping around in.
    I think, Mel that those two activities have two different requirements.

In a totally casual environment, in and around the house, the utility kilt might be just the job for comfort.

On the other hand, if I am working with any petrochemicals, on the car, painting a room, making a lot of dust, lots of lifting, then I put on my overalls / boilersuit first. It is quite true that you should always use the right tool for the job. I think that the right clothing for the job in hand is also a requirement. I am just not convinced that a utility kilt is the right clothing for that kind of work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    I think, Mel that those two activities have two different requirements.

In a totally casual environment, in and around the house, the utility kilt might be just the job for comfort.

On the other hand, if I am working with any petrochemicals, on the car, painting a room, making a lot of dust, lots of lifting, then I put on my overalls / boilersuit first. It is quite true that you should always use the right tool for the job. I think that the right clothing for the job in hand is also a requirement. I am just not convinced that a utility kilt is the right clothing for that kind of work.
    Thanks for your input Chas. I don't do any heavy or dangerous work now, I normally wear shorts and t shirt for what I do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1721L View Post
    I was thinking about a utility kilt as it seems a practical solution to hot weather where shorts and undies are uncomfortable and a traditional kilt not always possible.

However I'm a bit worried that they may appear kind of "gay?" No offence intended to anyone that happens to be that way inclined but I'm not comfortable with that possible perception and don't even know if they are looked on that way or not. No one here abouts wears one, then again there is only one other person I know who wears a kilt anyway. In other words it's am image question.

I'm also informed that they don't keep their shape and the pleats don't keep their sharpness.

My wife also thinks they look too much like a womans shirt.

I'd appreciate some feedback from those with experience of utility kilts.

I don't know much about a lot of things, but I do know a thing or two about utility kilts. If the style appeals to you then yes, absolutely, they're a fantastic and practical thing to wear when it's hot. I much prefer cotton and cotton blends to even a short yardage wool kilt when it's really warm. They're also just fine for dirty, messy work. I work at a dog shelter two days a week and have a poly/cotton kilt that's reserved just for that. I'm crawling around on the floor and in tight spaces, cleaning kennels, painting, washing dogs, getting filthy and generally treating my kilt badly. Works just fine for me.

Nobody will assume you're gay. Unless you're wearing your kilt at a gay bar, and even then it'll be because you're at a gay bar, not because you're wearing your kilt. Yes, you'll see Utilikilts at Pride parades. You see them at straight events too. I wouldn't worry about it.

A well made utility kilt will hold it's shape just fine. Typically the pleats will be sewn along the inside and outside edges, so they're always sharp and don't need to be pressed after washing. A poorly made utility kilt, just like a poorly made tartan kilt, will look like crap. And yeah, international shipping rates suck. I think USPS flat rate to Spain is about 60 bucks.

True, some people hate them or think they look like women's skirts. *shrug* Not much you can do about that.
    Cheers!
    Bob

11. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to ratspike For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ris tispike;12in th4048
    I don't know much about a lot of things,isn't but I do know a thing or two about utility kilts. If the style appeals to you then yes, absolutely, they're a fantastic and practical thing to wear when it's hot. I much prefer cotton and cotton blends to even a short yardage wool kilt when it's really warm. They're also just fine for dirty, messy work. I work at a dog shelter two days a week and have a poly/cotton kilt that's reserved just for that. I'm crawling around on the floor and in tight spaces, cleaning kennels, painting, washing dogs, getting filthy and generally treating my kilt badly. Works just fine for me.

Nobody will assume you're gay. Unless you're wearing your kilt at a gay bar, and even then it'll be because you're at a gay bar, not because you're wearing your kilt. Yes, you'll see Utilikilts at Pride parades. You see them at straight events too. I wouldn't worry about it.

A well made utility kilt will hold it's shape just fine. Typically the pleats will be sewn along the inside and outside edges, so they're always sharp and don't need to be pressed after washing. A poorly made utility kilt, just like a poorly made tartan kilt, will look like crap. And yeah, international shipping rates suck. I think USPS flat rate to Spain is about 60 bucks.

True, some people hate them or think they look like women's skirts. *shrug* Not much you can do about that.
    T

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. I hope that dog shelter isn't like the terrible killing stations they have in Spain. You sound like a dog person though. I have 3 dogs, all rescued straight from the street.

They don't appeal in the same way as a traditional kilt, it's just the practicality of it in a hot climate.

A gay bar is highly unlikely, I don't even know if they exist in Spain to be honest. I suppose they must do.

Anyway, is there any particular make you would recommend?

Although my wife will probably have the last word.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Complemets and "cracks"

I wear only kilts. Either USA Casuals or Utilikilts. It depends on the amount of "pocket" space I need and whether a sporran would be in the way or be damaged doing what I plan to do.

Both seem to get about the same number of compliments and "the questions" from both sexes.
    The tartan Casuals look nicer but get the "where is your bagpipes" question more often.
    ( My response is, "You don't want to hear how badly I play". )

The wise cracks are from people who would do it to anyone who doesn't dress like the rest of the sheep and have never gotten physical here. I have a sense of humor and better jokes on tap.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tundramanq For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast