X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Threaded View

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two Telling comments? The Answer Perhaps?

Almost monthly the question is asked here; "why don't the Scots wear the kilt daily?" Or, maybe; "why do the Scots wear the kilt only on special occasions?" And lo and behold two or three stock answers are trotted out and accurate though they are, I have always been left with the feeling that we are missing something. Now, perhaps, I may have one more answer to add to the list and perhaps, to my mind at least, is nearer the mark and may be nearer the truth than many of us might admit. However, I find these off the cuff and to be very clear here, totally innocent and unwitting comments, troubling as many from outwith Scotland, perhaps, will too.

Having spent a restless night thinking about these comments and also thinking about whether I should mention them here and bearing in mind the long and honest thread going at the moment about "wearing the kilt in Scotland" I have decided that I will.

Last evening we had a neighbours son and long term girlfriend call in to see us. Its always nice to see them and catch up with their news and how university is going? How are the grouse doing? Are they catching many salmon this season? That sort of thing. Anyway during the course of conversation, Sally said to Harry that she wished that Harry would wear the kilt more often when at home, like he used to. He would be dressed very much like Johnthebiker's picture in the "wearing the kilt in Scotland" thread . Then came the first bombshell! " I am not going to look like a tourist in my own country" replied Harry in a quite serious voice. Then came the second bombshell! "Oh come off it Harry you dont look anything like a tourist when wearing the kilt!" Reproached Sally gently......... and on went a very pleasent evening.

WOW!!! Thought I, that's a new slant on things! After considerable thought, I wonder if this goes to the subconcious thought processes of local Scots? Perhaps it did even in Victorian times when the wealthy "tourists" did the romantic Highland Thing and it was mainly them with their money and romantic ideas that wore the kilt? Perhaps I have missed this angle for the last 70+ years? Is this a modern way of thinking? In truth, I know not, but I am troubled by those two comments.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 13th July 14 at 07:13 AM. Reason: put my glasses on!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post: