X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do actually hear the term "jumper" used to refer to clothing but it's always a garment that women and especially little girls wear. It's a sleeveless, collarless dress intended to be worn over a blouse or shirt. Sometimes the bottom half is shorts and the top part is like overalls.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Abbott View Post
    previously? A semmit is still a semmit to me and a vest is still a vest. Maybe the younger generation call them different names in the manner you've mentioned. Trousers is indeed what seems to have become the norm but I still occasionally hear people referring to them as slacks.
    I do occasionally hear 'semmit' but I do think the word is slipping out of use, as indeed is the item itself!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer your first question, it is difficult to tell from the small photo but the jacket looks like an Argyll. A PC will have 2 small tails in the back and usually does not button in the front.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to cck For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    previously? A semmit is still a semmit to me and a vest is still a vest. Maybe the younger generation call them different names in the manner you've mentioned. Trousers is indeed what seems to have become the norm but I still occasionally hear people referring to them as slacks.
    In my neck of the woods, slacks are specific to dress pants (trousers), and the term does not include blue jeans, khaki trousers, carpenter pants, etc. Slacks are like suit pants. Is it used similarly there, or is it just a generic term for trousers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Blazer and slacks' or 'jacket and slacks' are the terms that I recall being commonly used.

And as for 'blazer', it would normally refer to a navy blue 'suit style' jacket but with gold/brass/staybrite or perhaps silver/silver coloured regimental or faux regimental type buttons, whether single or double breasted.

So slacks would normally be smart grey or perhaps fawn/tan trousers.

Another term for trousers that is sometimes used, although not so much nowadays is 'flannels'.

Mel1721L is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck Donald View Post
    Howdy,

In my photo, I'm wearing my PC. At least it was sold to me 15 years ago as a PC, can someone confirm or is it some form of black Argyl?

Anyway, it didn't have a vest with it, so I'm thinking about having my wife make me one as I drop some of this middle age lard.

Is a waistcoat just the front part of a vest with a strap around the the neck and a strap around the waist, sort of an apron, and a vest is like a jacket without sleeves, or are the terms interchangable?

My wife made me a couple of vests for my cowboy action fancy duds, so I know she could make a PC vest, or waistcoat, or whatever it really is.

Thanks!
    Waistcoat is the English word for what Americans call a vest. A vest in English is what soft men wear under a shirt, some even in summer!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh thank you, Ron, you've made my day! For all of my nearly 7 decades, a vest has been a singlet worn as underwear - it's wonderful to know that I'm still the younger generation!
    Regards, Sav.

"The Sun Never Sets on X-Marks!"

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to WillowEstate For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Around here, anyway, nobody would know what "waistcoat" meant.

Yes a "jumper" is a sort of girl's dress; according to Wiki it's called a "pinafore" in Britain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumper_(dress)

Nobody uses the word "trousers" though they would understand it. "Pants" is the general term. "Slacks" are dressy pants which would be worn with a suit, as opposed to "jeans" (or "levis"), "khakis", and "cargo pants".
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th July 14 at 06:01 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And for the other definition of Jumper on wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumper
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the term 'Jumper' comes from horse racing. Back in the 1920's steeplechase Jockies in Britain started to wear woollen pullovers instead of the traditional silks (as they ride in the winter). So this style of clothing became known as a 'jumper'. And yes, your kilt jacket looks more like the Argyll style than a Prince Charlie (without vest!).
    The Kilt is my delight !

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to freddie For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12