X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inviting Critiscism.... For Jock Scot etc.

Dear All,

As a historical reenactor and someone who deplores the constant "casualizing" of modern clothing I lean very strongly towards the traditional side of kilt wearing. I just finished reading the "Too Traditional" thread and have been watching the "Two Comments" thread as well and the more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.

So I thought I would throw out a picture or two for criticism....

These two have worse light but show the bonnet. A genuine Ryan Ross bonnet and I am afraid I do wear it in a historical manner rather than traditional.

I am not overly well supplied with money so I buy all of my shirts and ties from the thrift store and everything else is made by me (except the hose, garters, hat, and shoes).

I am not really looking for "you look really good" posts. If I am doing something right I would, of course, like to know but what I really need are ways in which I can improve. I would especially appreciate input from Jock Scot, creagdhubh, and other people who really know what they are doing in regards to THCD... go ahead, be brutal .

Thank you all!

Sincerely,

:ootd: Karl
    Last edited by Kilted Karl; 23rd July 14 at 12:18 PM.
    "For we fight not for glory nor for riches nor for honour, but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life".
    the Declaration of Arbroath, 1320
    Freedom is the Liberty to do what is Right.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Laddie!

Actually you look pretty damn good and the smile says it all! OK a wee bit of fine tuning. It might pay you to turn your kilt pin up the other way. Those horse blanket pins rarely spring upen, but if it did as you have it now it would fall off. Having it the other way gives you a chance of it hanging on until you spot it has come undone.

It might pay you to consider getting a leather sporran strap when you can as it might be kinder on the kilt in the long run. Have you a leather sporran strap on the last two pictures? Its not very clear. You might consider raising the sporran a tad just to see ifyou like it higher----its no big deal either way. Its a trial and error thing really.

Some, including me, might suggest fastening your bottom button on your waistcoat as that is how many consider highland waistcoats are worn.

Finally when you can, it might be worth thinking about non button down shirt collars.

All these are just minute details that you might consider over time. Oh and the bonnet! Just so you know most in Scotland go bare headed these days and I really do think the traditional method fits your attire better, if I had to chose between that and the historical look.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 23rd July 14 at 12:15 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock Scot,

Thank you for your input, very helpful!

It may be hard to see but the sporran is on a leather strap. I have a chain but I never use it for the reason you mentioned.

:ootd: Karl
    "For we fight not for glory nor for riches nor for honour, but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life".
    the Declaration of Arbroath, 1320
    Freedom is the Liberty to do what is Right.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just noticed the SD, it might pay you to push it into your hose quite a bit more. Leaving about an inch to inch and a half, poking out. Its will be more secure that way.

Just, just noticed! It might be worth threading the T bar on the watch chain from the outside to inside , it looks more tidy and will be less likely to catch on anything.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 23rd July 14 at 01:04 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add to Jock's comments, to my eye, your sporran looks a tad small. A minor point as well with your pocket watch chain, the "t-bar" is usually on the inside, not outside. Overall you have pulled things off fairly well!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, well done. I do agree with everything Jock said in his post. Here are some tweaks you might consider.

Bonnet: I wear a bonnet in the traditional manner but only at clan events etc... otherwise I go bareheaded. One guideline I tend to follow is that I don't wear a bonnet if I'm not wearing a jacket. I also prefer a more traditional and less historical looking bonnet shape. If you're dressing in period attire, by all means wear the flat blue bonnet, but when dressing traditional, keep it traditional. You acknowledged that you know this already in your OP.

Tiny nitpick: Your kilt looks a tad high to my eyes as do your hose. I try to have the hose go up to about three fingers below my kneecap and the top of the kilt in line with the top of my knee at the highest and mid knee at the lowest. Yours looks to be a few fingers above the top of the knee but this could be a camera angle thing. Hose for sure, kilt maybe.

Garter ties: I like to show less of them to avoid the wind sock effect and just have a peek of colour. I also line them up directly to the outside edge of my shin bone. These are personal preferences and how you have yours are perfectly fine.

Keep it up and kilt on!
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well turned out and modeled!

Fine tune it as you see fit having listened to sage advice above.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McClef For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with jock Scot, the button down collar makes my teeth itch, aside from that I love the jaunt of your bonnet in the second pic and overall I think you are smartly dressed indeed!

All I see that's missing is a tad more chain showing from your pocket watch, I love a fine pocket watch and to me that chain droop adds a bit of polished pizazz to a well attired gent.
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of it sounds like great advice to me.

I believe button down collar shirts were originally created so Ivy League polo players could keep their shirt collars out of their face. I see a lot of people wearing them with a tie, but I consider them semi-casual wear more in line with a sport coat without a tie.

I am primarily a casual kilt wearer, but I do appreciate advice from the well turned out members here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is all high praise from the experts. I might add that you look great in a tie and confident in your kilted attire. Keep it up!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast