X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Nathan, I'm particularly drawn to this photo.....very nice look.....where and under what circumstances was it taken of you?

Hawk
    I was at the Kingston Scottish Festival in May 2013 and it got cold since that is Spring here and the temperature can still drop to single digits Celsius. After shivering for a while, I went to my van and got a wool sweater and a pair of gloves so I could go back to watching the grade one bands without freezing. a photographer liked the cut of my jib and asked if I'd pose for a shot. I agreed as long as he said he'd email me the file. There it is. The shots with McMurdo and I where I'm in the day plaid as well as the one with Farmer Jones, McMurdo, Crash, the Quaich and I, are from the same games this past May. Once again, the temperature shifted throughout the day and I was glad to have the option of some extra wool layers. I wear a Barbour jacket when it rains but otherwise, I hate to cover up so much of the tartan and try to find other ways to stay warm.

Farmer Jones:

A few people have purchased tartan4less tweeds on here. If I recall, the complaints weren't about the cloth, which is very nice, but rather about a) The cut which is a little odd in the front, and b) attention to detail. One xmarks member received a jacket and waistcoat with no button holes if I recall correctly. I think if you go that route, you should budget for some additional tailoring to finish the job when the jacket arrives. I hope I'm not mixing it up with another ebay store, but that's my recollection.
    Last edited by Nathan; 29th July 14 at 06:41 AM.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that a hounds tooth goes well with everything. I have 3 jackets and my hounds tooth checked jacket and waist coat are my favorites and get worn the most. The base colour is camel with dark teal, chocolate and tan checks, make sure that your buttons are of quality (real elk horn not plastic). The waist coat makes for a more "formal" look but if you prefer just wear the jacket and on "special" occasions sport the waist coat.
    LOCH SLOY!
    Cheers, Wil

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Wil For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGumerait View Post
    There are several offered by them that fit that description . Would it be possible to provide a link to the one you like ?

If you are referring to what I think you might be and you are okay with that price range ... I would recommend contacting Steve Ashton ( Freedom Kilts and forum owner ) as he has a " kilt cut " jacket that fits well into that price and you can be a bit choosy .

Cheers , Mike
    My situation is a bit odd. I am not actually purchasing this myself. I have to identify items and sources to a disinterested 3rd party and ask them to actually purchase the items. I have to be clear and precise in directing them to correct items. To seek images that I can show them I have browsed ebay and Scotweb. I was not altogether sure about posting links to ongoing sales in ebay, but if it is OK here are a couple items I am considering.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HARRIS-TWEED-...item20e7061aa3

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GREEN-TWEED-N...item5d4e7051fb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Jones View Post
    My situation is a bit odd. I am not actually purchasing this myself. I have to identify items and sources to a disinterested 3rd party and ask them to actually purchase the items. I have to be clear and precise in directing them to correct items. To seek images that I can show them I have browsed ebay and Scotweb. I was not altogether sure about posting links to ongoing sales in ebay, but if it is OK here are a couple items I am considering.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GREEN-TWEED-N...item5d4e7051fb
    I like both of them, but my vote is for the first one made of Harris Tweed.

Best of luck,

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here are a couple items I am considering.

I think the problem with this one is the cut, if you notice the sporran cut away is non-existent. The problem is that it will get in the way of your sporran, to me that is a deal breaker as the cut of the jacket is paramount.

This one looks like a more traditionally cut kilt jacket which to my eye looks proper.

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I think the problem with this one is the cut, if you notice the sporran cut away is non-existent. The problem is that it will get in the way of your sporran, to me that is a deal breaker as the cut of the jacket is paramount.

This one looks like a more traditionally cut kilt jacket which to my eye looks proper.
    I saw that too, Glen. However; in my opinion, the fabric is the winner for me. The Harris tweed is far nicer than the green. The cut away can be addressed by a tailor, and should be a rather simple fix.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to creagdhubh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post

But what about the colour? That herringbone in a well cut jacket would go nicely for most situations.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Farmer Jones For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Kyle. The Harris tweed is the better made jacket and in a better cloth. The cut-away could be remodeled later by a tailor.

I like the colour of the green jacket, but the Harris tweed will go with absolutely anything.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Calgacus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgacus View Post
    I'm with Kyle. The Harris tweed is the better made jacket and in a better cloth. The cut-away could be remodeled later by a tailor.

I like the colour of the green jacket, but the Harris tweed will go with absolutely anything.
    I will not be wanting to remodel anything. I will keep searching the web for jackets like this. Somewhere there is exactly what I need. I probably need a made-to-measure service.
    Last edited by Farmer Jones; 29th July 14 at 07:08 AM.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Farmer Jones For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I probably need a made-to-measure service.
    Definitely something to consider.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast