X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    In addition to the hodden grey London or Toronto Scottish kilts, I'd make a couple more.

The kilt is *typically* tartan although tweed kilts and solid coloured kilts have a long history and are occasionally worn with THCD.
    So, the kilt must be tartan, hodden grey, tweed, or a solid color?

Must the kilt be wool, or can it be a blend, cotton, PV, or some other material?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Is it worth making a distinction between THCD and impeccably worn THCD? Is someone that has all the necessary items on but they are ill-fitting or improperly worn, still wearing THCD? I'd say yes, just not the best example of it. What say you?<snip>.
    I say let's just identify all the necessary items of THCD. How well it's done would be a separate issue.
    Last edited by ASinclair; 2nd August 14 at 07:54 AM. Reason: spelling
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASinclair View Post
    So, the kilt must be tartan, hodden grey, tweed, or a sold color?

Must the kilt be wool, or can it be a blend, cotton, PV, or some other material?

I say let's just identify all the necessary items of THCD. How well it's done would be a separate issue.
    Kilt: 8yd knife-pleated wool, most commonly pleated to the sett...

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlpope View Post
    Kilt: 8yd knife-pleated wool, most commonly pleated to the sett...
    That is my feeling, as well, David.
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ASinclair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no authority, but I don't think that lower yardage kilts can be excluded and neither can you exclude other pleating options such as boxpleated...

Shouldn't it be,
    Kilt: Anything that looks like a traditional(small kilt) wool kilt in the common pleating styles.

7. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Carlo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kilt- Wool or intended to resemble wool, either tartan or some long-standing other wool, such as Hodden Grey, cut and made of 5yds or more of fabric, or made to resemble such a kilt
    Hose - worn to just below the knee, either solid or diced or argyle, according to the occasion. usually worn with flashes ( not tartan ones)
    Jacket (day)- wool or other natural fibre, cut to reveal the sporran in front, short enough to reveal pleats in the rear, cut with lapels or short Barbour type waxed jacket
    Jacket/ doublet (night)- wool or silk or cotton velvet, solid colored or tartan, the same length as day, or shorter, cut either with lapels or a stand up collar, with or without tashes (aka Inverness skirts)
    headgear when outside- balmoral or glengarry bonnet
    shoes appropriate to the occasion, chosen from this list: brogues, evening shoes, bar-and-buckle brogues, sturdy lace ups ( aka Veldtschoen or bluchers)
    shirt- solid or checked, generally spread ( not button-down) collar, otherwise as saxon daywear, but note jabots and evening (formal-full dress) shirts
    necktie- generally "traditional" neckties from saxon wear- no hula girls, cartoon characters or large motifs, can include bow ties
    Sporran- of a pattern in existence prior to WWII
    I would strongly suggest no mention of cromachs. I would also suggest that the presence or absence of pockets, cuff treatments, or number of vents is immaterial. Lastly, I would emphasize that CIVILIAN does not allow for military uniforms, insignia, or parts thereof

There is your straw man. Knock him down or build him up
    Some take the high road and some take the low road. Who's in the gutter? MacLowlife

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to MacLowlife For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MLL, this sounds about right to me.
    Last edited by ASinclair; 2nd August 14 at 07:57 AM. Reason: correct a brain-check
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, AS,

I can think of ways a person could go entirely wrong- black or burgundy shirt, denim jacket, "wrong" shirt and tie combination, but we are striving for a definition, not a rule book. I think we ought to include the height of the kilt, both top and bottom. Do we need to mention that THCD does not include platform shoes, or patent leather for daywear? I don't think so. I am not 100% sold on tweed kilts, honestly, but I am not a highlander. Nobody has mentioned whether there needs to be some kind of affiliation between the tartan and the wearer. I vote no.

What I really want to know, though, is whether or not my 12 pound ( 6KG) brindled mongrel bitch is THCD- and whether or not there is a special collar she should be wearing...
    Some take the high road and some take the low road. Who's in the gutter? MacLowlife

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's THCD?

Suitably turned out in a proper kilt and related accoutrements.

And what's that?

......it's what's in my mind !

And of course, it will be something slightly different in everyone's mind.

But based on a woollen kilt made with sufficient material and made of tartan or in long, accepted plain colour.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Questions, that need to be answered . Are we defining THCD by what the kilt attire is made of, for example wool? Or, Are we defining THCD by the overall look?

As THCD is an Xmarks term and we only really can "judge" the attire from pictures, then the "look" option seems to me the one we go for. Why?

Well ,can you tell if the kilt being worn in the picture is made from wool, or some synthetic material? I can't, can you?

Likewise, can you tell from a frontal view on a computer screen, how many yards of cloth the kilt is made from? I can't, can you?

Again, can you tell whether the kilt is hand sewn, or, machine sewn from a distant view in a picture? I can't, can you?

Can you tell from a picture if there is a "hidden pocket" under the apron? I can't, can you?

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 2nd August 14 at 02:18 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tried this a couple of years ago. There's a rather long locked thread about it. My hunch is that we will end up in the same boat on this go-round.

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast