X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How "Minimalist" Are You...???

Socks notwithstanding, a kilt is the most versatile garment a man can own. To wear it formally or informally simply depends on the bits and pieces that get put on with it. My question to you is... just how minimal is acceptable to you for casual attire.? ie. sporran / no sporran, belt / no belt, kilt pin / n o kilt pin, flashes, socks, ...etc. etc. or combination thereof.
    What is the bottom line level of casual that is acceptable to you, under what circumstances (where) would you wear it?? What is your reasoning?? (Robbies photo gallery has a couple of great examples.) How minimalist are you??

blu

(This was not intended as another "undergarment question".)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what i wear with me utilikilt

what i usualy wear with me black workmans, sadly it is me only kilt but i will get more when i get the money.

a punk pyramid studded belt and black socks, and a t shirt and skater style shoes and sometimes me fine top hat, i would wear it that way almost anywhere i go .

if i was going formal i would polish my black biker boots and wear them instead of shoes, and wear my black polo style harley shirt luckily i dont have many formal ocassions to go to though i would still wear me fine punk style belt though i would even brush/comb me beard

i should be able to order that chain mail belt about a week after the forth of july

i go casual everyday

thanks
    kilted in kc 8)

Martin S
    Kilt, shirt & sandals, now that the weather is warming up.
    Otherwise, kilt, shirt, pullover, long socks and shoes. Rarely a sporran or flashes (thnough I admit to having been reprimanded for this!).
    A belt if the kilt needs it (I have some that have no other buckling).
    Jacket & tie? What are they?

Martin,
    laid back in France.

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minimum:
    Kilt
    Belt
    sporran or bumbag
    short socks
    shoes/boots
    T shirt

This my minimum casual for going out. Around the house I throw on my Bear or USA velcro casual.

I like a belt to hang a cell phone on and I think a kilt always looks better with it.
    A bumbag in needed to keep my essentials, money, reading glasses, Palm Pilot.

Socks and boots because i am not so casual as to wear sandals. I might go barefooted on the beach, that's all.
    Shirt, for obvious reasons, I like a shirt with a celtic theme. (like a Guinness shirt)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never wear my tartan kilts without a sporran. For day/casual wear I usually wear my Black Watch or Buchanan kilt, and do not use any shiny chrome (or shiny leather) accessories. This means my kilt pin, sporran chain and kilt belt buckle are all dull black finish, not chrome. I usually wear brown leather shoes/boots for day wear, so I wear my brown kilt belt and sporran when I have my brown footwear on. I wear pushed-down kilt socks (no flashes) if wearing boots.

I usually wear a T-shirt (tucked in), and sometimes a sweater as well (NOT tucked in, thank you!) or a Levi's-style brown denim jacket. The important thing for me is to have everything look good as a package without looking like some sort of a costume. For me, that rules out puffy "kilt shirts"

I get out the good stuff (shiny chrome kilt pin, belt buckle, sporran chain and good Badger-fur sporran) in the evening or for special events.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minimum casual for me would be
    Boots
    Socks
    Kilt
    Top (depending on weather).
    Come to think of it, that's about the maximum I wear too.
    I just change my top to look a bit smarter, or if it's a posh do, I get my pinstripe kilt out. It's like wearing a rolls royce
    Cheers Rhino

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm the same as Graham

Kilt
    Belt
    sporran or bumbag
    short socks
    shoes/boots
    T shirt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino
    Minimum casual for me would be
    Boots
    Socks
    Kilt
    Top (depending on weather).
    Come to think of it, that's about the maximum I wear too.
    I just change my top to look a bit smarter, or if it's a posh do, I get my pinstripe kilt out. It's like wearing a rolls royce
    Cheers Rhino
    To be honest... this is the sort of direction I was headed. A sporran is a pocket. If it's not needed, why wear it? Same thing with a belt if the kilt will stay up without it. The more I wear a kilt, the more I get the feeling that some of the trappings we tend to wear are perhaps a bit of an insurance policy... ie. let there be no doubt that it is a kilt. Am I wrong in this?

blu

Alaskan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are right, Blu.
    I definitely wear a lot of the accessories just because they are one more thing that shows I am wearing a kilt and not a skirt.
    When camping I will cut down the accessories a lot. Regular socks instead of hose (and as a result, no flashes), no kiltpin, no sporran if I don't need the pockets... just a belt.
    For everyday wear though, I wear hose, flashes, kiltpin, belt, and sporran. I generally wear polo shirts now, because think they go better with the kilt than t-shirts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sciuropterus
    .... For me, that rules out puffy "kilt shirts" ...I get out the good stuff (shiny chrome kilt pin, belt buckle, sporran chain and good Badger-fur sporran) in the evening or for special events.
    I quite agree with you on the "puffy shirt" thing. Mine now hang in the closet prison where my kilts used to be.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast