X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Threaded View

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to submit a proposal to the membership

The three Kilt style forums have been a problem since day one.

The Historical section does not seem to be the problem. The difference between the Traditional and the Contemporary is where all the problems are.

Then Alan H. posted about his trip to Scotland and something clicked.

In Scotland the kilt is considered special. It is worn for Highland Games, weddings, proms, and other events where Highland outfits are expected.
    The same could be said for the way our traditionalist view the kilt.
    We always see the traditionalists posting pics of how the kilt can be worn for these special events. These outfits look distinctly out of place on the street. They need the Highland event context to fit in.

The Modernists are posting pics of how the kilt can be worn as everyday clothing. What you would wear if you take the pants out of the picture.
    This is how I dress. Even in the pic I post with the three guys is to me, normal everyday wear. I am not going to a Highland Games or to a wedding. I'm going to the shop or to the office or to the supermarket.

What would the membership think if we re-defined the three sections and based what would be posted based on the reason you are wearing the kilt?

For example - We could re-define the Historical section to something like - Historical and Costume Wear.
    In this section you would post if you were a reinactor. If you were putting together a Historically based outfit. Or if you were going to a costume ball or Halloween. This would also cover stage costumes.

The Traditional section could be re-defined like - Highland Event Wear -
    In this section you would post if you were going to wear your kilt to a Highland Games, a dress dinner, wedding or prom.
    You would also post here if the reason you were putting on a kilt is to go to any Highland themed event.
    I think this would cover about 99% of the posts currently in the Traditional section.
    My thinking is that when the traditionalist do post they are almost always going to some event and they are wearing Highland Attire.

The Modern section could be re-defined like - Modern Street Wear -
    In this section you would post if you think of the kilt as just another piece of clothing. Going about your daily life and doing normal daily things.
    Those like me who wear the kilt everyday would post here. If you are going to the beach or walking the dog you would post here.
    The idea is that you are not planning on going to any special Highland themed event or function.

Perhaps looking at our outfits like this would help with the current problem where everyone is gauged by the traditional dress standards.
    Utilikilts, would have a place that was comfortable to post in without being held to and compared to some traditional mode of dress.
    My three amigos photo would be instantly recognized as street wear and the traditionalist would know why I am dressing like that.
    Photos of guys at Grandfather Mtn. in their Bonnets, laird's plaids and cromach's would be comfortable in the Highland Event section because it fits with what they are trying to get across with their outfits.

What does the rabble think about this idea? Do you think it would solve the problems we seem to have with the current wording of the three sections?
    Would a re-definition of the three sections like this give our modernists a comfortable place to post without being compared to some highland ideal they were not trying to emulate in the first place?

I would like to hear from our traditionalist and also, more importantly, from our modernists. @Alan H would this work for you?

Almost any idea or comment would be welcome at this stage.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 21st August 14 at 04:54 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post: