X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned and Tagged?

I've recently noticed the addition of "Mentioned" and "Tagged" tallies each username, location and post count.

Why?

From my understanding the disadvantages outweigh any advantages.

If you are too busy to laugh, you are too busy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread explains the new features, if you're looking for an explanation.

If what you mean is "why bother with that info being displayed with each username?" well then I dunno. Doesn't seem important to me to know those details, but I don't see the harm either, as I don't often look in that area anyway.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair Steve has published a method to cancel this feature. Personally I find the feature unhelpful and would erase the system forthwith, if only I could understand the technojargon instructions!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasem View Post
    This thread explains the new features, if you're looking for an explanation.

If what you mean is "why bother with that info being displayed with each username?" well then I dunno. Doesn't seem important to me to know those details, but I don't see the harm either, as I don't often look in that area anyway.
    The "tagging" to bring attention to another user is OK and may, in fact, be useful (as stated in the explanatory thread).

However the second part of your response, the "Why bother..." - the tallying, recording and public disclosure of those tags/mentions - is where I was going with my question. It will be interesting to see if it "catches on" and a considerable numbers of tags and mentions are recorded/displayed. That's when disadvantages may begin to outweigh advantages.

If you are too busy to laugh, you are too busy.