X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dram View Post
    You're correct that was accidentally omitted. Two chevrons cottised Or?

Regards,
    No, whatever it is, it isn't that. Isn't the blazon on the certificate? (It doesn't seem to have been uploaded to the online SABH database yet. http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/...63%26DB%3DHERE )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph McMillan View Post
    No, whatever it is, it isn't that. Isn't the blazon on the certificate? (It doesn't seem to have been uploaded to the online SABH database yet. http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/...63%26DB%3DHERE )
    Hello Joseph,

I may have made a mistake I believe it was called "a chevron cottised" and was originally omitted from the blazon. Although the arms are "registered" I am waiting for the certificate which may take until December. The Herald in South Africa referred to it as a Chevron Cottised...I mistakenly said two chevrons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But a chevron cotised is a chevron flanked by two narrow chevrons with the tincture of the field showing through in between, like this:

If your chevron is in fact blazoned as cotised, then there must be something to indicate that the space between the chevron and the cotises is gold instead of ermine. It's a very attractive design, but I can't think of a way to blazon this treatment of the chevron, where the space is not the same tincture as the field, without getting horribly convoluted. I'm curious to know what the SABH came up with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph McMillan View Post
    But a chevron cotised is a chevron flanked by two narrow chevrons with the tincture of the field showing through in between, like this:

If your chevron is in fact blazoned as cotised, then there must be something to indicate that the space between the chevron and the cotises is gold instead of ermine. It's a very attractive design, but I can't think of a way to blazon this treatment of the chevron, where the space is not the same tincture as the field, without getting horribly convoluted. I'm curious to know what the SABH came up with.

Hi Joseph,

I will have to ask them (SABH) and try to clarify and will post back when I have a response.

Joel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joseph,

This is the way it should read: a chevron cottised Gules, voided Or.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a chevron Gules between a couple close Or, a heart Or between two shamrocks Argent?

As depicted in the margin?

TenorClef is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Pleasure. Nice arms! Of course SA will disallow the supporters, but I know you'll be happy with their guidance.
    Hi Dram, my draft has come through today from the Bureau of Heraldry. I think it looks great :-)

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by TenorClef; 30th October 14 at 04:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite nice. Simple is best and this is a very identifiable coat because of that. I think you're well on your way. Is the crest a warbler or some type?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Joel's Personal Arms Crest and Motto.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	22952

Another representation of my arms

TenorClef is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite nice. Simple is best and this is a very identifiable coat because of that. I think you're well on your way. Is the crest a warbler or some type?
    Your full heraldic achievement is great Dram. The bird I thought was a blue throated nightingale but its been suggested that a blue throat isn't a nightingale at all.....however to the best of my scant knowledge they are from the same family. (Swedish Nightingale )
    Last edited by TenorClef; 31st October 14 at 07:10 PM.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to TenorClef For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast