X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree Jock, it certainly pays to tread lightly and keep one's mouth shut when in the hills. I dislike being in a large group and generally walk alone or with one or two companions. There are many who visit the hills and treat them as some sort of recreational playground- a view which has its place, for sure, but it's not my favoured approach. One of the many dividends of a 'tread lightly' approach is the opportunity to see nature close up, and occasionally get to see some of the rarer denizens of the hills. Nothing beats sitting ten feet from a stoat, watching it watching me, or twenty yards from a family of otters as they play near the shore line, or standing almost within touching distance of a red deer stag in the gloaming, or standing a few feet from a dozen or so ptarmigan.

Now that I have a dog it's a little harder, though not as much as I thought it was going to be. I certainly can't get as close to mountain hares as I used to, she has a, *cough*, fondness for them.

Still not seen a bloomin' wildcat yet though...

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Calgacus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgacus View Post
    I agree Jock, it certainly pays to tread lightly and keep one's mouth shut when in the hills. I dislike being in a large group and generally walk alone or with one or two companions. There are many who visit the hills and treat them as some sort of recreational playground- a view which has its place, for sure, but it's not my favoured approach. One of the many dividends of a 'tread lightly' approach is the opportunity to see nature close up, and occasionally get to see some of the rarer denizens of the hills. Nothing beats sitting ten feet from a stoat, watching it watching me, or twenty yards from a family of otters as they play near the shore line, or standing almost within touching distance of a red deer stag in the gloaming, or standing a few feet from a dozen or so ptarmigan.
    My sentiments exactly. Well said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No response yet from Knockando or the Wildcat Haven regarding the tartan.

I will let it go through this week and next week, as I'll be off in the mountains next week. If there's no word from either of the organizations when I get back, then I'll try another Wildcat organization, and maybe Dalgliesh and Nick.

I strongly suspect that several places will be more than happy to weave whatever the designer comes up with, as long as there is a customer to buy a bolt of cloth.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Alan H For This Useful Post:

Eyre, Loch Snizort, by Portree ~ Isle of Skye
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I strongly suspect that several places will be more than happy to weave whatever the designer comes up with, as long as there is a customer to buy a bolt of cloth.[/QUOTE]

May I suggest that you also contact Robin Elliot of Andrew Elliot Weavers Ltd. in Selkirk. I am currently working with Robin on a custom weave project (after considering others) and I am thoroughly enjoying the experience. Robin was born to the trade (he is Andrew's son) still works in the old traditional ways in a Mill from the 1880's on Looms that are over 100 years old. He has vast experience of design work and Tartan. He is also a Member of the Scottish Tartan Authority. Finally, I think you will find that his prices are extremely competitive and that the project will cost less than you think.

Here is the link to his website:

http://www.elliot-weave.co.uk

I have no doubt that this is the kind of project Robin enjoys engaging with and that he would be more than happy to speak with you about it.

If you like, I'd be happy to speak with him about it and get back to you, if you prefer.

Cheers,

Orionson
    "I seek not to follow in the footsteps of the men of old.
    I seek the things they sought." ~ Basho

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Orionson For This Useful Post:

MacBean is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to see or hear a wildcat in its native habitat. Of course, they are not the only wild cat in danger, many are nearing the brink. How many of you have heard a Bobcat scream (not growl) at night? They are rather scary if you don't know what you are hearing. I've seen a variety of jaguar relatives and heard both gray wolf pack and red wolf pack howls, not something you like to hear when alone in the woods at night far from anywhere. I think we have the same problem with wolves as mentioned for wildcats - impossible to tell from coyote much of the time without genetic sequencing. Of course, I suspect the same is true for modern and neanderthal man - they got rather mixed along the way!

MacBean is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    No response yet from Knockando or the Wildcat Haven regarding the tartan.
    Wouldn't the Chattan tartan already be a wildcat tartan or were you thinking something a bit different (less conspicuous?)

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he was, MacBean. A bit stand-outish, our tartan. Opposite of the cat's dainties and more like the dog's breakfast?

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very interested in seeing how the tartan idea plays out. I think it's a wonderful idea for fund raising and bring awareness to the situation.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Elizabeth For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a sad state that they are in. Being a chattan makes it really impact us.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Theyoungkiltman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of you Chattan folks should edit the wikipedia page on wildcats. It goes on at some length about Clan Sutherland using the wildcat as a symbol but not a peep about Chattan.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast