X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Long Traditional Kilt Belt Needed

Greetings to all. In need of a longer traditional kilt belt. I measure 63" just above the belly button! I know, that's allot of belly. And. That's after dropping 65lbs. in the last 10 months. (My pant waist is like 49", but below my belly roll). Anyway, I'm having trouble finding a retailer that has a traditional kilt belt in a length that will work, online as well as locally. I would be wearing a kilt buckle with it. Any ideas or links to a retailer would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Galloglaigh is offline Just another incarnation of Steven Akins.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After 11 attempts to register here under different names, we now have enough evidence to confirm that this is again Steven Aikens of Jasper AL. This time using an IP proxy in an attempt to hide his real location.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 20th August 14 at 03:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can get the leather for that size kilt belt. What I will need to know is what kind of buckle it is. Send a picture of the back.
    Donnie
    I've survived DAMN near everything
    Acta non Verba

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Donnie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can vouch for Donnie, the man is a genius and extremely good to deal with. I am the proud owner of one of his sporrans and his workmanship is superb.
    Friends stay in touch on FB simon Taylor-dando
    Best regards
    Simon

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Grizzly For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second that. Donnie's work is top notch and he's great to work with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Grizzly for your affirmation concerning Donnie. Great to know his reputation speaks well of his work. We have been emailing back and forth since Thursday. The problem is my indecision. As I was telling Donnie, in much to much detail. For your reading enjoyment, this is a portion of that much to long email.

Here's the situation for me. I am waiting on delivery of my 8 yard, 16 oz., Henderson Weathered traditional kilt from my supplier in Scotland. Estimated delivery date range is August 27th - September 13th. There is a kilt accessory package that the supplier offers that I'm considering purchasing with my kilt, it will ship from the US as opposed to Scotland. The accessory package includes several items; shirt, sporran, sporran suspenders, buckle, belt, flashes, hose, kilt pin. Not real confident with the quality of the items included, given that the accessory kit is like $100 in addition to my kilt purchase. Now also please understand that I'm a member of The Clan Henderson Society, (for whatever that's worth) and this vendor works with our clan extensively, thus I'm assuming gives us a better price point. We have our Highland Games coming up September 20th, 2014. A little over a month from now. So the question is, do I go with the accessory package and hope for the best, with the potential of being backed up against a deadline to get a belt from you if the one in the accessory package is not up to expectations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it helps at all, when I first started kllting, I had a standard kilt belt, like the one that is supplied with a kilt package, like you I am somewhat comfortable around the middle
    and the standard kilt belt is fine ..... For a while, then you see what other people are wearing, you get more experienced and you think to yourself,my kit is bog standard, I want something better. Save yourself a few bucks and go with Donnie from the outset. I have other sporrans and belts which are now gathering dust in my drawer because quite simply once you buy something from a quality maker nothing else will do.
    Friends stay in touch on FB simon Taylor-dando
    Best regards
    Simon

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Grizzly For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your suggestions as well as your insight, much appreciated. I hope to work with Donnie @ Wyvern Leather Works for my belt. Donnie comes highly recommended and after seeing several of his pieces, I honestly was left speechless. Again, thank you very much for your guidance.

Respestfully

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to thehighlands4me For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey gentlemen, I have an update. Donnie was gracious enough to go to the effort of securing a substantial piece of hide to craft for me my kilt belt and sporran hangers. But after multiple, and I do mean multiple, emails, and the complete and openly revealing down side of my personality, (my OCD)and much patience on Donnie's part, I took your advice Grizzly, I went for the gusto and asked Donnie to make my sporran as well. Grizzly, your post kept ringing in my ears, not wanting something "bog standard"! I am honored to report that Donnie is working on my Fathers Knot sporran, black with a tan cap, laced edge. I feel like a kid at Christmas! Waiting anxiously to get my new rig and take it out for a spin! So to all who gave me the "thumbs up" on Donnie's work, may I extend my most sincere thanks, much appreciated. Pics to follow soon.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to thehighlands4me For This Useful Post: