X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abernethy/Abernathy: Where Do I Belong?

My ancestors are Abernethy/Abernathy. I have an ancestor, Robert A. Abernethy I , born in 1624 -32 (?) in Perthshire, Scotland. He was one of 1610 prisoners of war shipped to America by 1652,and arrived in Jamestown,Virginia where served 4 years as an indentured servant. He appears to have been on the losing Scots side against Oliver Cromwell's English Roundheads in either the battle of Dunbar on 09/03/1650 or the battle of Worcester on 09/03/1651. The losing Scots were led by Lord David Leslie. The final battle took place at Worcester,England by the river Severn And resulted in 3,000 dead Scots and up to 10,000 prisoners. He held the rank of Captain and fought under General Leslie from Banff, says "one of his kinsmen". Given the choice of the Tower of London or as an 'agricultural servant' to the colonies of America, he chose to go as a Prisoner of War and was deported to Virginia, He arrived in 1652 and was indentured to a Robert Tilghman. Robert died in 1685 in Prince George, VA.

My question is: It says in all the books that
    The death of the 9th Lord Saltoun in 1668, without children, ended the ancient line of the Abernethy nobility. However, the name continued on with the Duke of Hamilton, a descendant of the 1st Marquess of Douglas, who was also created Lord Abernethy in 1633, and many other commoner descendants maintained the Abernethy name throughout Scotland, and in England and Ireland. In Italy, it is is called Abernetti and in Sweden it is Ebbernet. The Abernethy's of Barrie, Angus, Scotland, could have been the ancestors of Robert and probably William Abernethy, who were the first Abernethys to emigrate to America in the 1650's.

When I look for a clan, they say I belong to the Fraser Clan and/or the Leslie Clan and/or the Lindsey Clan and/ or the MacDuff Clan and/or the Stewart Clan.

My middle names have always consisted of Stewart/Stuart MacKay/McKay and I have other scots names in my family.

I don't know where I belong.

It's easy to attach a link to your family tree in Ancestry.com, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the correct ancestor.

If anyone has any clue as to where the Abernethy's of Scotland went (those that were not captured or put to death) after the wars, I'd appreciate any information on this subject.

I fear some went to Ireland and ruled or helped rule there. so confused as to where they went.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck with your search. One place you might check is Saugus Ironworks, not too far from you in MA. Apparently, many Scottish POW's from the battle of Dunbar were transported there and many worked out their indenture and became landowners. Maybe you can find some information or connection there at the NPS site.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Ozark Ridge Rider For This Useful Post:

Galloglaigh is offline Just another incarnation of Steven Akins.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After 11 attempts to register here under different names, we now have enough evidence to confirm that this is again Steven Aikens of Jasper AL. This time using an IP proxy in an attempt to hide his real location.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 20th August 14 at 02:16 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Galloglaigh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galloglaigh View Post
    After 11 attempts to register here under different names, we now have enough evidence to confirm that this is again Steven Aikens of Jasper AL. This time using an IP proxy in an attempt to hide his real location.
    Steve, are you saying that about my post here? on the Abernethy/Abernathy post? cuz i am not Steven Aikens of Jasper.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lady of the Tower, the poster above your last one, is the person that Steve is making the reference about.
    Please read Steves post No42 in this thread http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...10/index5.html
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Downunder Kilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Downunder Kilt. and for the link to the post too. (I'll get the hang of this with help for nice people like you! and everyone else too)