X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Nathan's suggestions as Ratspike also agreed. I like the way this is heading. I also like posting #19 in this thread by Steve, as it shows clearly that we are an accepting community of kilt wearing people and kilt interest people, of all shapes, sizes, backgrounds, fashion sense, etc....

The only suggestion I would add was be sure to include that General Kilt subsection in the tweaking of categories. Keep up the discussion, as I'd also like to hear what some of our contributors, history folks, and kilt makers have to say ( Rocky, Steve, Bob-Ratspike, Bonnie, etc., etc...).

Hawk
    Shawnee / Anishinabe and Clan Colquhoun

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the direction Nathan has taken this. It seems to hit all the major points well.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to CDNSushi For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    What I am seeing more and more of is an attitude of elitism and ego boosting about being so right, so Scottish.
    Unfortunately this is very true.
    With your back against the sea, the enemy can come only from three sides.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to hector For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another big 'plus one' (Kyleism) for Nathan's post #6
    Last edited by Calgacus; 22nd August 14 at 06:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seriously wonder that if there is confusion between three categories, as at present, there will be even more confusion between five categories as Nathan suggests.

How about just two categories? Trad and modern? The trouble is the smug superiority that attaches to the word Traditionalism.

I post on another messageboard of Christian interest. There can be discussions of the detail of appropriate vestments. These discussions are nothing when it comes to nit picking and dogmatism compared to discussions of kilts here at times.

For me tradition doesn't mean lack of change. It is the means by which change and continuity are held together.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to JonathanB For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanB View Post
    I seriously wonder that if there is confusion between three categories, as at present, there will be even more confusion between five categories as Nathan suggests.

How about just two categories? Trad and modern? The trouble is the smug superiority that attaches to the word Traditionalism.

I post on another messageboard of Christian interest. There can be discussions of the detail of appropriate vestments. These discussions are nothing when it comes to nit picking and dogmatism compared to discussions of kilts here at times.

For me tradition doesn't mean lack of change. It is the means by which change and continuity are held together.
    I think "modern" implies that traditional is "old fashioned" and I actually believe you are dead on that it is the means by which change and continuity are held together. That's why I wrote, "now" with due respect given to "then".

People who dress traditionally are not dressing historically. They are dressing traditionally. Which is to say, they are wearing what is seen today as correct -yes, correct - by tradition bearers.

I don't think non-traditional is second class. Given the hostility I'm feeling toward the tradition around here by some, I think the non-traditionalists are quite capable of owning that accurate label. Their clothing is no more modern than mine, it's just less traditional.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

11. The Following 11 Users say 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    I think "modern" implies that traditional is "old fashioned" and I actually believe you are dead on that it is the means by which change and continuity are held together. That's why I wrote, "now" with due respect given to "then".

People who dress traditionally are not dressing historically. They are dressing traditionally. Which is to say, they are wearing what is seen today as correct -yes, correct - by tradition bearers.

I don't think non-traditional is second class. Given the hostility I'm feeling toward the tradition around here by some, I think the non-traditionalists are quite capable of owning that accurate label. Their clothing is no more modern than mine, it's just less traditional.
    A simple "Aye" isn't nearly strong enough for me on this one. Steve is quite right to stand up for the non-traditionalists, but yes, I detect more than just an undercurrent of hostility against those who seek to be traditional too... whatever those terms may mean!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

13. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post

Precisely! Well said, Nathan.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Calgacus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    I am honestly trying to find a way to make everyone who chooses to put on a kilt, for whatever reason, to be welcome here.
    Steve, I think that is an excellent sentiment.

Here are my suggestions for style sub-fora. I have drawn on Nathan's "approaches" approach, but did a bit of tweaking.

Historical and Costume Kilt Wear: This section is for discussing approaches to wearing the kilt from a bygone era—whether accurate, theatrical, or anachronistic.

Fashion Kilt Wear: This section is for discussing approaches to wearing the kilt that follow the latest trends in retail, rental/hire, and runway style.

Traditional Kilt Wear
    : This section is for discussing approaches to wearing the kilt as contemporary Highland attire that has been passed down from generation to generation.

Postmodern Kilt Wear: This section is for discussing approaches to wearing the kilt as everyday clothing and/or street wear that privileges personal interpretation.

The General and Accessories sub-fora will remain a free-for-all because they are open. I guess we're missing a section on uniforms, but that is more a question of regulations than options... I suppose solo pipers who have the freedom to choose could post in the Celtic Music section?

And for visual examples, here are pics of the inimitable Panache because he is one of the few people—if not the only person—who has posted photos of himself in all four categories.

Historical and Costume Kilt Wear:

Fashion Kilt Wear:

Traditional Kilt Wear:

Postmodern Kilt Wear:

Last edited by CMcG; 22nd August 14 at 06:34 AM. Reason: adding extra pics

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    Steve, I think that is an excellent sentiment

Here are my suggestions for style sub-fora. I have drawn on Nathan's "approaches" approach, but did a bit of tweaking.

Historical and Costume Kilt Wear: This section is for discussing approaches to wearing the kilt from a bygone era—whether accurate, theatrical, or anachronistic.

Fashion Kilt Wear: This section is for discussing approaches to wearing the kilt that follow the latest trends in retail, rental/hire, and runway style.

Traditional Kilt Wear
    : This section is for discussing approaches to wearing the kilt as contemporary Highland attire that has been passed down from generation to generation.

Postmodern Kilt Wear: This section is for discussing approaches to wearing the kilt as everyday clothing and street wear that privileges personal interpretation.

The General and Accessories sub-fora will remain a free-for-all because they are open. I guess we're missing a section on uniforms, but that is more a question of regulations than options... I suppose solo pipers who have the freedom to choose could post in the Celtic Music section?
    I REALLY like this categorization because it would allow me to ignore the segments that don't interest me as much. Steve, that's the problem with some of the overlapping categories; there are some that I really don't want the bother of sorting through while others fascinate me. That's an advantage in our current system; I worry that if we get some different criteria I may lose interest entirely when I have to read through stuff to see if it's what I care about.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

18. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast