X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jonesing--does it get easier?

Four weeks ago today, I ordered my first kilt, a 5 yard Celtic Nations. I have tried to become more patient in waiting. But now that I am getting closer to that 6 week minimum wait, I keep finding myself getting more and more anxious.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep myself sane and patient? Almost all of my personalities are spending too much time looking at kilts and seeing what is being said on this wonderful forum everyday.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Tom
    "Life may have its problems, but it is the best thing they have come up with so far." Neil Simon, Last of the Red Hot Lovers, Act 3. "Ob la di, Ob la da. Life goes on. Braaa. La la how the life goes on." Beatles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NO!!!

I have four fine kilts from Rocky and company. Well worth the wait.
    Celtic Nations Casual, off-the-peg no big deal.
    American Heritage 5 yard, standard wait time average Jones.
    R'lyeh 5 yard custom weave, pretty bad but I wasn't waiting alone.
    Czech National 8 yard custom weave, this one was the killer because the mill shut down for maintenance but oh what a beauty.

So wait it out, maybe go further into debt and buy accessories.
    Kevin Cernoch
    Kilted with a Czechered Ancestry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin,

I spent my entire extra change on the kilt, hose, and sporan. (By the way, at the expense of future car repair I imagine.) LOL

I know I will be getting more accessories and kilts in the future. I have waited about 36 years now for a kilt. You would think that a few more weeks would be a sinch. Oh well, only six more weeks to go.

Thanks for your help in keeping 12 of my 16 personalities in check. LOL

Have a great weekend.

Tom
    "Life may have its problems, but it is the best thing they have come up with so far." Neil Simon, Last of the Red Hot Lovers, Act 3. "Ob la di, Ob la da. Life goes on. Braaa. La la how the life goes on." Beatles

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kiltedtom For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a moment, look into a mirror and reassure everyone you encounter there that it will all good in the end. My mother used to say, "I'm not crazy, I'm just comfortable with my neurosis."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My two week waiting period just ended a few hours ago with the arrival of a beautiful Graham semi trad, and over the last couple of days I've had a hard time not being anxious. Some people are just chill about waiting on stuff they're excited about, not that I understand what that's like. This was my first kilt made for me by someone else, so I think that made the jones extra tough. For me, since this isn't something I can do often, the anticipation and excitement is part of what makes buying a kilt so awesome. Read every thread in the USA Kilts section for the fifth time, read about kilts, watch Rob Roy again and Pinterest until you can't see straight. Embrace the jones and enjoy feeling like a kid on Christmas morning when you get to unwap your present.
    Cheers!
    Bob

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ratspike For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One method to ease the jones is to order accessories while you wait! They don't have to be expensive accessories either. A kilt pin from one place... pair of solid-color hose from another... sporran if you need one from somewhere else...

Stagger the orders so everything arrives spread across your long kilt jones and the arrivals will keep the kilt jones out of your mind a [little] bit

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to chasem For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My method last year was, to expect the maximum waiting time or longer and then I was extremely surprised when it was in the post.