X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The outfit in in the OP is in the STA Collection. It could be copied but not recreated exactly as the Wilsons' cloth is harder than anything now made, not to mention that it's hand woven and naturally dyed. Matchng the style is far less problematic. The outfit comprises coat, kilt and plaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Abbott View Post
    I don't know whether they are still on display or not but there used to be a couple of superb full tartan outfits (maybe circa mid 18th century to early 19th century) on display at the National Museum of Scotland. I seem to recall them being trews/tartan riding breeches based.

At one time there were some beautiful outfits and accoutrements on display at the Museum of Antiquities as well.
    Because of space (and the fact that tartan and Highland Dress is not considered worthy of specific study and interpretation) there are only two outfits now on display at the National Museum; the Hynd-Cotton Suit (1744) and an Archer's Coat (c1720). The Musuem of Antiquaries is now an Art Gallery and the majority of that collection is in store.

The vast majority of Highland Revival clothing, of which the 1835 suit is a good example, is in private collections and many are not open to the public.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's truly a shame, you'd think they'd want to show people what their ancestors wore, study it as well....smh!!
    Thank you for the information; would you know whether the coat has tails or is it cut straight across the back? Also, it apoears the coat is double breasted but with the plaid draped across the front I can't be 100% certain?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MacLowlife....you mentioned a Black Watch morning coat, would you have a pic or link I could view this at??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some take the high road and some take the low road. Who's in the gutter? MacLowlife

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacLowlife For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnieboots View Post
    That's truly a shame, you'd think they'd want to show people what their ancestors wore, study it as well....smh!!
    Thank you for the information; would you know whether the coat has tails or is it cut straight across the back? Also, it apoears the coat is double breasted but with the plaid draped across the front I can't be 100% certain?
    If I recall correctly it has small tails and is double breated as was the fashion during the late Highland Revival. I will check and post some images when I have a moment.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the link MacLowlife and I look forward to to the images figheadair!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never seen anything like this, though I have seen many paintings and other historical documents. This is not to say that and outfit like this was all that uncommon, just not painted often or at all.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EaglePlayerJim View Post
    I have never seen anything like this, though I have seen many paintings and other historical documents. This is not to say that and outfit like this was all that uncommon, just not painted often or at all.
    This is typical of a late Highland Revival Outfit. They were very popular amongst the Highland gentry (and later Royalty) during the period c1780-1840. Plain jackets came into fashion thereafter and a complete tartan outfit is now a very rare sight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by jhockin; 10th October 14 at 08:44 AM.
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123