X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I have one of my Mark III's done...

I shoved three doubled-over yarn pieces through each of the six loops on either end. I wanted really full tassels.

I completed my son's Balmoral early this week except that I didn't have the ribbon to finish that. I'll get that tomorrow, and should have some pictures of that sometime soon.

I don't know when I'll get the second garter tie done.

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to John Henderson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks terrific! They really turned out great.

If you can't find anything but polyester grosgrain ribbon at the local stores, try a cotton/rayon blend Petersham ribbon from Judith M. Feels much better than the polyester.

Careful with the balmoral bonnet. After the first one it took me six before I could stop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first bonnet was for my son. I already have one of the ubiquitous off-the-shelf black balmorals. However, the green wool yarn to make my own should be arriving tomorrow! I'm going to make it green and use the celtic knot pattern this time in gold.

And also, I was intrigued by the article (http://www.albanach.org/hummel.html) on the Hummel (Kilmarnock) bonnet by Matt Newsome, and I contacted him to see if he had up-to-date contact information for Betty Johnson mentioned in the article, and he did. I contacted her, and have had a very nice e-mail conversation with her. She immediately provided detailed instructions on making that bonnet, and it has gone into my Ravelry queue.

Oh yeah....yesterday I stumbled across a pattern for fulled pirate tricorne hat. That has gone into my queue.

So yeah....the bonnet bug has bit me. If I want a break from that, I'll start kilt hose.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to John Henderson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are y'all getting patterns for garter ties? The one consistienly linked to in the forums here has been purge from LiveJournal. Anybody got an updated source?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kiltedrennie described them earlier in this thread. Post #16 is the one I was following.
    Last edited by John Henderson; 28th September 14 at 04:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BadenochWolf View Post
    Where are y'all getting patterns for garter ties? The one consistienly linked to in the forums here has been purge from LiveJournal. Anybody got an updated source?
    Here's my blog on the three versions. You want to follow the Mark III instructions at the bottom of the page.
    And my ravelry.com post.

I can throw together a quick-n-dirty instructional video showing how to cast on, knit a row or two, how to cast off, add the tassels, and how to wear them. I've never tried to make one before. Might be fun.
    Last edited by kiltedrennie; 30th September 14 at 06:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be interested in seeing Eric's video. In the meantime, you may go to YouTube and look for the videos by "Good Knit Kisses." She has a few very videos on basic knitting with very good close-ups and good explanation. She goes very slowly, and shows the technique a gazillion times (so you don't have to put everything down to restart the video just when you were about to get it.) You are looking for "knit" (which is not just a type of fabric, or technique to make a fabric, but also the name of a particular stitch), "cast on" and "cast off." You can also search for "very pink." Staci's videos are usually my go-to for anything I need to learn or refresh (like the tassels video posted above), although I think the Good Knit Kisses are a little better for the green beginner. (I think Staci could stand to zoom in more closely on some her videos). I've also found the "New Stitch a Day" videos to be generally good.

The only other thing you need other than the three techniques in the previous paragraph is a (purlwise) slip. You can probably search the videos above for a description, but all it is is passing the loop from the left needle to the right needle without performing any kind of stitch. I indicate, parenthetically, "purlwise," because there is also a "knitwise" slip, but generally when instructions just call for a "slip," they mean purlwise, which is what I described. (Knitwise involves a twist in the loop as you pass it.)

I also have a page on Ravelry: (I think I have the permissions set so anyone can see it.)
    http://www.ravelry.com/projects/iain.../garter-ties-1
    Last edited by John Henderson; 30th September 14 at 07:37 AM. Reason: omitted words

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finished the second garter tie. I wonder if they are too long (36"), but I haven't spent any time trying to learn the best way to tie them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Henderson View Post
    I finished the second garter tie. I wonder if they are too long (36"), but I haven't spent any time trying to learn the best way to tie them.
    A friend of mine is knitting a first one to show me how its done. As for wearing, I found this on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h08uYRMx7A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is not how I tie my garter. A little more complicated than it needs to be, as simple as it is. I just wrap around and fold over once. Perhaps 36" is a bit long? You don't have to do it that long. Think two times around and flip over. It won't go anywhere.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast