X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Ramping Down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ramping Down

I will spare you all the outrageously long expose that I wrote on FB, but suffice it to say that I'm "ramping down" my involvement to the athletics at the Games.

I'll still be throwing at most of my local Games, but if I can't drive to it in the morning...throw during the day, sleep overnight, and be back home by mid afternoon the next day, I'm not doing it. Big Travel Days are over.

I used to throw 2-3x a week early in the season and keep that up through June or July. No more....1x a week.

I expect to be putting a bit more into the AD job at Ardenwood and also judge now and then, locally.

This is a combination of A.) other hobbies and priorities that have fallen by the wayside the past five years, needing to get "picked up" again and B.) the old mans body simply can't keep up the pace any more and C.) I'm not working to get better any more. I'm working to "not get worse". Time for a re-evaluation.

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Alan H For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm sure you will be missed at many of the events that will be left in the void. Although, it prepares many to treasure the ones that you do make an appearance at.
    One of these days I'll be able to see you and cheer you on Alan. I do look forward to the visit you might schedule up this way one year. Our door is always open.....

Hawk
    Shawnee / Anishinabe and Clan Colquhoun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand Alan, especially your B
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of us Alan that get to reach that particular set of cross roads, it is not always an easy matter to pick the easier route, but I am afraid that is what you will have to do and there is nothing any of us can do about it. However, life does not stop and it seems to me that you have all the angles covered for a busy if slightly less energetic future. Not everyone is that forward thinking, or lucky and make no mistake, the loss of ones youth does have its frustrations! Make the most of the next part of your life as I am absolutely sure that you will!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a little sad for those of us who just got to meet you. My kids really appreciated the help you gave them in their first few games this year. I understand the driving. I use to be able to drive from here to southern Idaho in a day but this year I had to break it up into 2 days. We will be at sea side for the last game this year. Heidi and Cameron are throwing and I'll be shooting. Hopefully that's local for you. Your weight over bar pr Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_8931a800.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	21580

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add a few photos of my "favorites" of Alan the Highland Athlete, as he made the circuit.....one captured the humor, and the other two, the determination that he has expressed to those coming up through the ranks.....

Hawk
    Shawnee / Anishinabe and Clan Colquhoun

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came to a similar place with bike racing, and I'm right there with you about the big travel days. I used to really enjoy the ritual of getting up at oh-dark-thirty to pack the car and drive for hours, or burn an entire weekend, to go get muddy. Train 5-6 days a week, lots of structure, eating and sleeping according to a schedule, life revolving around racing. I was never any good at it but it was fun. I still ride bikes but there are other things that I enjoy a lot more now, and life+business have shifted my priorities around. It's all good with me, as I suspect it will be with you.
    Cheers!
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the wonderful comments and the great pictures! I will indeed be at Ventura and plan to be attending that event for a good, long time. Ventura is our Old Guys From hell Road Trip, with myself and Marty Nichols....wouldn't miss it for anything. So Tell Heidi and the guys that I'll be there!

Hawk, who knows, we have other friends in Portland, too.... I might make the trek again in a few years.

ratspike, having raced bicycles, briefly in college, I totally understand!