X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use trews, Dougal wears them and Jamie wears them. I wanted them to wear trews whenever they were on horseback.
    But it is a television show not a documentary, and we have bosses.

2. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to terry dresbach For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of the audience is complaining that they can't understand it NOW with the accent you are hearing.
    And they are not en faire pirate boots. They are accurate reproductions of French Military bots, made by a historical cobbler, for us.

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to terry dresbach For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terry dresbach View Post
    A lot of the audience is complaining that they can't understand it NOW with the accent you are hearing.
    And they are not en faire pirate boots. They are accurate reproductions of French Military bots, made by a historical cobbler, for us.
    Interesting blog, terry. Love your observations about the costume choices for Geillis Duncan. Of course she would have to look "out of time", a woman who brings her contemporary sensibilities to clothing choices in the 18th century.

About the knitting, to your knowledge, in the period, did they do "modern" knitting, such as we know it or a form of scandinavian nalbinding?
    [B]Doch dyn plicht en let de lju mar rabje
    Frisian saying: do your duty and let the people gossip[/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a lot of evidence survives. We know they knitted. Do we know how every single person knitted? No. Can we say that one person (Mrs. Fitz) made herself some bigger needles, because she had a particular style she wanted to do? Sure we can.
    We don't use polyester or plastic, there is no velcro on the show. We KNOW those things did not exist. So we make sure they are not in there. The same way we don't have anyone turn on an electric light. But human beings are a diverse lot, and there is room for a lot of experimentation. Once we confirmed knitting, then as far as I was concerned, we could take the creative leap.
    Another note. At that time in the production, no one from above (way above), wanted a lot of historically accurate parts of costumes. Like fichus. But I had an actress and a character running around in a freezing castle, exposed in a way that might kill her or get her branded a whore. Everyone LOVED the knit pieces. Sometimes you have to dance carefully on the edge of the razor. And the knit pieces opened the door to fichus, which she now wears as a result.

7. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to terry dresbach For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terry,

Welcome to the forum. It's very interesting to get the background first hand.

I am particularly interested in the choice of tartans, which I know were designed for the show, as the colours are not typical of the period. I guess that this was a conscious choice but wonder why no attempt was made to reflect extant patterns of the time and did the decision also extend to the choice of fabrics that include what appears to be tweed and kilt cloth with no selvedge?

Peter

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a lot of evidence survives. We know they knitted. Do we know how every single person knitted? No. Can we say that one person (Mrs. Fitz) made herself some bigger needles, because she had a particular style she wanted to do? Sure we can.
    We don't use polyester or plastic, there is no velcro on the show. We KNOW those things did not exist. So we make sure they are not in there. The same way we don't have anyone turn on an electric light. But human beings are a diverse lot, and there is room for a lot of experimentation. Once we confirmed knitting, then as far as I was concerned, we could take the creative leap.
    Another note. At that time in the production, no one from above (way above), wanted a lot of historically accurate parts of costumes. Like fichus. But I had an actress and a character running around in a freezing castle, exposed in a way that might kill her or get her branded a whore. Everyone LOVED the knit pieces. Sometimes you have to dance carefully on the edge of the razor. And the knit pieces opened the door to fichus, which she now wears as a result.
    I was more interested in the technique, to be honest When I saw the pieces I was wondering whether they had been produced by nalbinding or by knitting. From a distance some of them looked like nalbinding, and it would have been geographically and historically interesting re the Norse influence on Scotland.
    [B]Doch dyn plicht en let de lju mar rabje
    Frisian saying: do your duty and let the people gossip[/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did not want to use any existing clan tartans. I feel we did indeed make an effort to reflect patterns of the time. There is, as you know, much debate as to pre and post Victorian tartans.
    We have practical considerations when filming a massive television drama. I am trying to be very clear with everyone, that our goal was not to make a documentary, as that would have made it impossible to film. If, for example we made everything by hand, the thousands of costumes we have to make, would would mean we would film the first season many, many years from now.
    We do try to be as historically accurate as possible, while keeping in mind, artistic choices, corporate input, and the practical needs of making thousands of costumes in about ten weeks.
    But at least we are not buying things at the mall. Will we get it right every single time? No. Will we annoy different groups? Yes.
    But I am incredibly proud of the look of the show, and that we held out against the trend to "modernize history".
    There is a piece on my blog titled "Authenticity". You may find it interesting.

I appreciate your interest in what we are doing!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased most of our knitted pieces from local Scottish crafts people. Picked them for their feel and tone, what kind of story they might tell. Not sure of what technique was used.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to terry dresbach For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter, I know the tartan (tweed?) was produced by Anthony Hainee textiles (according to production notes) and referring to their site, I cannot find any mention of tartan production, only tweed. At a guess they wove tweed tartan, thus did not have a true kilting selvedge
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, thanks so much for participating in this discussion! This information age is truly amazing.
    Next, I want to mention that I'm really enjoying the show.

I'm not surprised that people are having some trouble understanding. A Highland accent is much easier to understand than a Lowland accent with Scots vocabulary mixed in. A trip to speak to old people in the Hebrides would illustrate my point. I was also surprised that there were no subtitles on the Gaelic.

Regarding cloth, Peter MacDonald, @figheadair who asked you about the tartan colours and weaving techniques is a leading scholar on the subject of textiles of the period. Perhaps you've stumbled upon a valuable resource.

My understanding is that bonnets would be blue and felted as was the fashion of the period.

I'm aware it's not a documentary and I understand about the need to use sewing machines etc... but if a more accurate garment could be produced in the same time at the same cost, why not do so?

I'll read your blog with interest.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast