X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone recommend a good heraldic artist?

As the header says, I need an heraldic artist. I have an idea for a personal blazon, and am *pretty* sure I've got my Norman French grammar and syntax down. I'm looking for someone to fix any errors/mistakes in usage and get me a fair looking representation.

In case any of you are curious, my presumptive blazon, created out of whole cloth (and not much else) goes: On a field Or masoned sable, a Cross-crosslet sanguine; in chief embattled bleu-celeste, two Mockingbirds volant addorsed proper.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend @Harold Cannon , our very own Heraldic master here on the forum .He does great work on this kind of thing.
    Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Thomas H For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas H View Post
    I would recommend @Harold Cannon , our very own Heraldic master here on the forum .He does great work on this kind of thing.
    Plus One to that recommendation- Harold's work is superb.

ith:

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to artificer For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BadenochWolf View Post
    As the header says, I need an heraldic artist. I have an idea for a personal blazon, and am *pretty* sure I've got my Norman French grammar and syntax down. I'm looking for someone to fix any errors/mistakes in usage and get me a fair looking representation.

In case any of you are curious, my presumptive blazon, created out of whole cloth (and not much else) goes: On a field Or masoned sable, a Cross-crosslet sanguine; in chief embattled bleu-celeste, two Mockingbirds volant addorsed proper.
    I'd forgo the use of sanguine and bleu-celeste in favor of Gules and Azure. You can ask you artist to use a particular shade of red and blue to fit your fancy. Stains and bleu-celeste are rarely used well. I'd also urge you to reconsider the mockingbirds proper, in favor of martlets Argent. At such a small size the mockingbirds proper will get lost on the blue chief.

Try: Or masoned Sable a cross-crosslet Gules; on a chief embattled Azure two martlets Argent.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Harold Cannon is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be more than happy to help. I also agree with what David said. I believe that a coat of arms should pass the postage stamp test. If you shrink the image down to the size of a postage stamp it should still be recognizable. If you are interested in discussing it further please feel free to message me.
    Last edited by Harold Cannon; 9th September 14 at 07:15 AM.
    Clan MacMillan Convener for the Great State of Alabama...Secretary, Tennessee Valley Scottish Society...Knight of the Confraternity of the Order of the Most Holy Trinity
    Chaplain/Commander of the Hospitaller Order of St. Lazarus of Jerusalem...Facebook Page Administrator/Member of the Noble Society of Celts...Baron Serjeant of Rathdown

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Harold Cannon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlpope View Post
    I'd forgo the use of sanguine and bleu-celeste in favor of Gules and Azure. You can ask you artist to use a particular shade of red and blue to fit your fancy. Stains and bleu-celeste are rarely used well. I'd also urge you to reconsider the mockingbirds proper, in favor of martlets Argent. At such a small size the mockingbirds proper will get lost on the blue chief.

Try: Or masoned Sable a cross-crosslet Gules; on a chief embattled Azure two martlets Argent.
    If you leave off the cross, this will look like two birds flying over a wall made of gold bricks...

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you leave off the cross, this will look like two birds flying over a wall made of gold bricks...
    That is entirely the intended effect!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With no offence intended to you or @Harold Cannon, the tinctures and choice of bird were intentional. Were I to continue the arms to helm, torse, mantling, and crest, the torse and mantling would be sanguine slipped bleu-celeste, with a mockingbird displayed as crest. The tinctures are modern but entirely proper. Sanguine directly alludes to blood: shed in combat by the bearer; in crosswise, to the blood of Christ. Bleu-celeste alludes to both a family history of service in the Air Force, and the bearer's own time with US infantry and airborne divisions. The mockingbird is a personal canting badge. The whole field, when taken together is intended to look like two birds taking wing over the golden New Jerusalem, washed in the blood of her King.
    Last edited by BadenochWolf; 9th September 14 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Edited to mention other participants in the conversation properly and fix a possessive error

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BadenochWolf, you have some interesting preferences there. While I am sure you have good reason to prefer your odd colour choices, the mockingbird is a different kettle of fish.
    The challenge will be to get it drawn so that it is readily recognisable. Harold (or some other artist) might succeed in this, but it is not a foregone conclusion.
    As you say, bleu celeste is a colour associated with air force service. It was originally merely a mediæval oddity, but it has featured in grants from the College of Arms since the First World War, as well as in Royal Air Force unit badges.
    Your use of the word slipped with regard to the torse and mantling is strange to me. A torse is usually blazoned as being of (metal) and (colour) – thus or and sanguine. Mantling will have the colour on the outside, and be lined with the metal: sanguine lined or.
    I would be most interested in seeing the final product.
    Regards,
    Mike
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mike_Oettle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used David Wooten of http://www.neoheraldry.com/ to create the artwork for the Achievement of the CBSI with very good results. His artwork is my avatar.
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast