X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Fly Plaid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fly Plaid

Hello, I am heading to the International Tattoo in a couple of weeks and planning on wearing a fly plaid with my PC. My question is this:
    Does the bunched up part go over or under the epaulette?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Under. Wouldn't recommend it though inasmuch as it's likely to snag on stuff.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I have considered that, but since I will be just sitting and looking pretty...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget to flip it up before you sit to look good. Otherwise it'll pull itself out along with whatever it's pinned to.

By the way, the pin on the front of it is only to add weight to balance the long part hanging down behind you. Some guys don't attach it to the jacket at all (if it gets snagged it can rip your jacket) and others use a normal safety pin for a bit of security. If you choose the latter, I would recommend doing so under the epaulette such that if it does rip loose, at least your epaulette will cover it, thus minimizing the visibility of the damage.

Have fun at your event!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, sir

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While true that fly plaids add a bit of snazz to the outfit, they're somewhat of a pain, because they cause the jacket on that side to droop and/or pull back oddly, and as has been said get snagged on stuff.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte