X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A question for Artificer

Hello,

I have always admired this sporran that you made...

Name:  tooledbeaver1.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  29.3 KB

Is the sporran bag the entirety of what you see in fur in the front? I love how this looks like the MacLeay image as well as imitates the hair sporrans. If you have images of the back, I would love to see. This is, of course, if you do not mind. I have a number of hides being tanned at the present and would like to construct a sporran that has elements of this sporran. I do not wish to copy it, however, and hope that I can simply make a usable sporran that is not embarrassing to wear!

Thank you,

Isaac

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to IsaacW For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also love that sporran and ......hey, that's MY sporran. Thank you for your kind words. It was a mutual collaboration between myself and Scott. He suggested the MacLeay type pattern as it is a bit larger than most, as am I. The front is West Coast beaver acquired from a good friend that also has a beaver sporran. The tassels are horse hair and the cantle was tooled to resemble the beaver tail hide. The back is finished in black leather with a typical D-ring strap and keeper. The interior is lined with a beautiful red leather suede. It took a few conversations and some time to complete but it was well worth every agonizing moment.

Gentleman of Substance

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Big Mikey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I have a full-body shot of the rear, but yes, @IsaacW, this particular piece is full storage. The rear pattern follows the front pattern quite closely, although you could subtract about 1/2" for the fur from
    each side.

The shape is based on both a MacLeay portrait and an old vintage sporran molach with a short fur that I saw that was quite large on the backside to bring the profile closer to the selvedge of the kilt.

That said, if I were to build one for myself (fat chance, since I haven't made a whole sporran for myself in almost four years) I'd probably build it with a flat body and a ticket pocket on the rear. It'd be a bunch lighter,
    and personally I don't need that much storage in a sporran like this.

ith:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Big Mikey, you wear it well! Indeed that is a handsome sporran!

And to you both, thank you for the information. The furs that I have coming came from my "front yard" and I am excited to do a sporran with some. I just need to make the decisions and get my fingers to do the work. I do like the idea of the smaller ticket pocket. I usually have no more than a small wallet and keys in my sporran if even that. I am sort of an anomaly in that I do not even own a cell phone (odd especially for someone of my generation). Whatever it is I end up making; I only hope it ends up half as nice as what you have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacW View Post
    I am sort of an anomaly in that I do not even own a cell phone (odd especially for someone of my generation).
    I do not own a cellphone either nor do I want to. And I am probably younger than you!

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mikey View Post
    That is one mighty set of whiskers you are sporting my friend!

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand