X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A question for Artificer

Hello,

I have always admired this sporran that you made...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tooledbeaver1.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	22069

Is the sporran bag the entirety of what you see in fur in the front? I love how this looks like the MacLeay image as well as imitates the hair sporrans. If you have images of the back, I would love to see. This is, of course, if you do not mind. I have a number of hides being tanned at the present and would like to construct a sporran that has elements of this sporran. I do not wish to copy it, however, and hope that I can simply make a usable sporran that is not embarrassing to wear!

Thank you,

Isaac

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to IsaacW For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also love that sporran and ......hey, that's MY sporran. Thank you for your kind words. It was a mutual collaboration between myself and Scott. He suggested the MacLeay type pattern as it is a bit larger than most, as am I. The front is West Coast beaver acquired from a good friend that also has a beaver sporran. The tassels are horse hair and the cantle was tooled to resemble the beaver tail hide. The back is finished in black leather with a typical D-ring strap and keeper. The interior is lined with a beautiful red leather suede. It took a few conversations and some time to complete but it was well worth every agonizing moment.

Gentleman of Substance

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Big Mikey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I have a full-body shot of the rear, but yes, @IsaacW, this particular piece is full storage. The rear pattern follows the front pattern quite closely, although you could subtract about 1/2" for the fur from
    each side.

The shape is based on both a MacLeay portrait and an old vintage sporran molach with a short fur that I saw that was quite large on the backside to bring the profile closer to the selvedge of the kilt.

That said, if I were to build one for myself (fat chance, since I haven't made a whole sporran for myself in almost four years) I'd probably build it with a flat body and a ticket pocket on the rear. It'd be a bunch lighter,
    and personally I don't need that much storage in a sporran like this.

ith:
    artificer Pronunciation: \är-ˈti-fə-sər, ˈär-tə-fə-sər\ : noun : 14th century :a skilled or artistic worker or craftsman
    Artificer Custom Sporrans
    *Home of the Original Kenneth MacLeay Sporran Project & Functional Brass Cantles*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Big Mikey, you wear it well! Indeed that is a handsome sporran!

And to you both, thank you for the information. The furs that I have coming came from my "front yard" and I am excited to do a sporran with some. I just need to make the decisions and get my fingers to do the work. I do like the idea of the smaller ticket pocket. I usually have no more than a small wallet and keys in my sporran if even that. I am sort of an anomaly in that I do not even own a cell phone (odd especially for someone of my generation). Whatever it is I end up making; I only hope it ends up half as nice as what you have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacW View Post
    I am sort of an anomaly in that I do not even own a cell phone (odd especially for someone of my generation).
    I do not own a cellphone either nor do I want to. And I am probably younger than you!

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mikey View Post
    That is one mighty set of whiskers you are sporting my friend!

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand