X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, are you now less confused than you were?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the risk of showing my ignorance on the topic (and hijacking this thread) I pose the following question: If you can't wear the fly plaid at your own wedding, when *is* it (traditionally) acceptable to wear it?

The followup question being: How important is tradition going to be at your wedding?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbeaty View Post
    At the risk of showing my ignorance on the topic (and hijacking this thread) I pose the following question: If you can't wear the fly plaid at your own wedding, when *is* it (traditionally) acceptable to wear it?

The followup question being: How important is tradition going to be at your wedding?
    Those that have this opinion would suggest never.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbeaty View Post
    At the risk of showing my ignorance on the topic (and hijacking this thread) I pose the following question: If you can't wear the fly plaid at your own wedding, when *is* it (traditionally) acceptable to wear it? ...
    Ignoring the parenthetical adjective because, while its meaning can be agreed upon by some subset of kilt wearers, it cannot be defined, I would say any time you want to look "very Scottish" to about 99.9% of folks who will see you wearing it.
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to mookien For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, any time you want to look "very Scottish", wear the kilt. Unfortunately, many of us have become dulled to the perceived "statement" in wearing a kilt. Male fashion has gotten so dull, that some folks now legitimately believe that an Aran sweater is just dripping with overblown Celtic-ness and should be reserved for St. Patrick's day and the like. I can only imagine what people think when they see a lone kiltie.

That said, this is your wedding. Others have provided solid advice regarding most of your rig, as the Rabble can be trusted to do. But in regards to the fly plaid, I would recommend wearing it: one's own wedding is the one time you can be 100% certain that it is OK, as if you are one of the two getting married, you only need to worry about outshining your spouse, which is quite a tall order (so tall that a fly plaid certainly will not do so).

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Livonian For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123