X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks good for being a 54 year-old book. Vintage books rock!
    The binding is getting a bit fragile, but it is otherwise in very good condition. One interesting aspect of this book is that it contains several pages of advertisements, mostly for highland dress, at the beginning and at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by MacEanruig View Post
    The first time I saw the Henderson tartan in a book was in a 1973 edition of Ian Grimble's Scottish Clans & Tartans. I own a copy of the same edition.
    The Henderson tartan is included in my edition of The Scottish Clans & Their Tartans. As I said earlier, there is no publication date on that book, but the edition is certainly from the 1950s at the latest, given that I bought it at the end of that decade.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to imrichmond For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is interesting, but does not include the Ancient Campbell, which is the widely accepted tartan for the Clan. Ancient Campbell is pretty much a brighter Black Watch, but there are no yellow stripes in either! I did not see Black Watch in there either.

Nevertheless, I love old books. Thanks for posting this.

Frank
    Ne Obliviscaris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike; I don't think any Keiths were actually septs of the Sutherlands. I'm sure there are still families that staid put, when the Keith's lost they holdings, but they remained loyal to their own chief. It is interesting to see that a number of clans claim Keiths or Keith septs as their own. I've been told by other conveners that I'm a McPherson and a Stewart. While the McPherson and the Keith's both are Catti (or Chattan as it is now called), the Keith's and Marshall's are not McPhersons. I did read an article yesterday that states the Keith chief's have traditionally supported The McPherson as chief of the Chattan Federation though.

Frank; you are right. Since most of the clans mentioned are western clans, you would think they would have Campbell.
    B.D. Marshall
    Texas Convener for Clan Keith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually most published histories, no less than the Countess of Sutherland herself, claims a branch of them as a sept within the clan history.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit off topic, but I used to live next door to Keith Hall, the ancestral home of the Keiths. The oldest part of the castle, the Tower House, was restored and came up for sale about five years ago. I toyed with buying it but didn't. I wish I had, as it has subsequently sold for a whole lot more than it was when I looked at it. The price has pretty much doubled! I'm absolutely gutted!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-38209630.html

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Calgacus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting. I was interested to read about one of my favourite branches of my own ancestry - the clan Forbes.
    I really like the tartan, and would love to buy a kilt in the Forbes tartan. Looking at this book has rekindled my desire - perhaps, some day!!

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kiltedjohn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    Actually most published histories, no less than the Countess of Sutherland herself, claims a branch of them as a sept within the clan history.
    "Although a clan unto themselves, in the 14th century the Keiths had a branch that became a sept of Sutherland when John de Keith, second son of Edward, Earl Marischal of Scotland, married Mariota Cheyne of Akergill, daughter and heiress of Reginald Cheyne and Lady Joanna of Strathnaver. Sir Reginald divided his lands between his two daughters, Mariota and her husband gaining Strathbrock and half of Caithness.

The son of John Keith and Mariota, Andrew of Inverugie and Strabrock had a daughter who married Kenneth Sutherland, the third son of William the 5th Earl of Sutherland and the brother of Robert the 6th Earl of Sutherland. This Kenneth was the ancestor of the Sutherlands of Forse and he obtained a charter of the Forse lands in 1408 from Mariota. Andrew Keith, the son of John and Mariota, later confirmed this charter.

John and Mariota's line died out when their great-great-grandson Alexander died with two daughters as heiresses. Margaret married William Keith, 4th Earl of Marischal and Janet married Andrew, 2nd Lord Gray. Inverugie Castle (a Cheyne seat until Mariota's inheritance) was rebuilt by William and Margaret's grandson George who succeeded his grandfather as the 5th Earl of Marischal. These estates remained in the family until 1766 when they were sold. Other lands in Caithness passed into the hands of the Earl of Caithness in the early 17th century."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike; OK that explains it.
    Calgacus; I tried to find Keith Hall in 09 when I was over there, but GPS took me somewhere else. I think our Chief sold it when he moved to the capital.
    B.D. Marshall
    Texas Convener for Clan Keith

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123