X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Scottish Clans and Their Tartans : With Notes

I found this at by accident while looking for something else, and thought I would share. Also, I apologize if it's already been posted.

The Scottish Clans and Their Tartans: With Notes is an interesting vintage book that speaks for itself.

Scotclans.jpg
    Mark Anthony Henderson
    Virtus et Victoria - Virtue and Victory
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

2. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to MacEanruig For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I enjoyed looking through it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a nice thing. Cheers for pointing it out.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give this some time. Thanks for the rediscovery. Even if its old and used to others, its new to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flipped through it, basically worthless. It doesn't include the Keith's.
    B.D. Marshall
    Texas Convener for Clan Keith

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkilted View Post
    Flipped through it, basically worthless. It doesn't include the Keith's.
    Basically worthless to you personally, or in the quality of its contents? That's pretty dismissive language!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Basically worthless to you personally, or in the quality of its contents? That's pretty dismissive language!
    Perhaps bdkilted meant to add a smiley...

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dismissive is correct, Father Bill. This covers only what; 20 Clans? But, it says it covers the "Clans of Scotland."
    It may be of some minor use to the few clans it covers, but to purport to address the all the clans, and then list only a few?
    That appears to me to be a marketing gimmick, that the author foists on the hapless reader. If your clan is covered, feel free to buy it,
    but don't dismiss my disdain as merely selfishness because my clan isn't included, because there are many clans that have been
    excluded from this pamphlet. I'm merely stating buyer beware, it isn't what it purports to be.
    B.D. Marshall
    Texas Convener for Clan Keith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkilted View Post
    Dismissive is correct, Father Bill. This covers only what; 20 Clans? But, it says it covers the "Clans of Scotland."
    It may be of some minor use to the few clans it covers, but to purport to address the all the clans, and then list only a few?
    That appears to me to be a marketing gimmick, that the author foists on the hapless reader. If your clan is covered, feel free to buy it,
    but don't dismiss my disdain as merely selfishness because my clan isn't included, because there are many clans that have been
    excluded from this pamphlet. I'm merely stating buyer beware, it isn't what it purports to be.
    If you actually look at the booklet, it's a historical document, out of copyright. It's free, not being sold or marketed, but put online for reference.

Added: there are many free, historical books online at the archive. You can learn a lot. They are not all great, but if you take them for the free references they are, then you can get out of them what you put into your research.
    Last edited by California Highlander; 4th October 14 at 04:10 PM.

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not see the Henderson tartan in the book either, but I know the tartan predates any register so I'm not worried. Nonetheless, I posted as California Highlander suggested.
    Mark Anthony Henderson
    Virtus et Victoria - Virtue and Victory
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacEanruig For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast