X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slog away Nick. Looks as though you're doing a fine job. Or should that be Grog away Nick?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best things you can do is follow Sir William's advice. Your unit should have a list of sutlers they perfer you to use. I belong to a group here in PA Muskets of the Crown we do 77th Highlanders F&I and 42nd Highland Grenadier for AWI we do lots of reenactments with the local 84th lads good group of guys lots of fun. I can advise you talk to your unit before you buy anything. Also do research ask questions! Learn to sew or make friends with someone who can it goes along way for saving money.
    Last edited by brownbess; 28th March 15 at 01:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've given us a list and such. They know how long it takes to get this stuff together and it's slow with the two of us in university.

I've heard good things from the Maryland 84th.

We've found some people who can do the sewing for us, at least for the coat. We have the other basics down now.
    Gillmore of Clan Morrison

"Long Live the Long Shirts!"- Ryan Ross

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know if this, which is described as a brooch, is from the 84th? The text has the heraldic motto Nemo me impune lacessit on the inside and on the outer edge Quicquid aut facere aut pati which was the regiment's motto. I have never seen another example. Unfortunately I don't know the size but could find out.

one of the officers
    Last edited by figheadair; 6th April 15 at 12:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Does anyone know if this, which is described as a brooch, is from the 84th? The text has the heraldic motto Nemo me impune lacessit on the inside and on the outer edge Quicquid aut facere aut pati which was the regiment's motto. I have never seen another example. Unfortunately I don't know the size but could find out.

one of the officers
    Definitely from the 84th from the sources I've seen. It could also be a cartridge box badge from others' discussions.
    Gillmore of Clan Morrison

"Long Live the Long Shirts!"- Ryan Ross

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently it's about 3 inches, so I guess a plaid brooch. Issued to all ranks or an officer's accoutrement?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter - I'll have to do more research on this (by looking in the Neuman/Kravic "Collector's Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Revolution"), but I believe such badges have been excavated on AWI sites (not sure if they were attributed to the 84th Royal Highland Emmigrants or to the 71st (Fraser's) Regiment of Foot). I've seen replicas worn as bonnet badges by reenactors of the 84th (with the officers wearing a gold-colored version), and as cartridge box (i.e., "belly box") devices by ORs in a reenactment group portraying the 71st. There is debate in collector and reenacting circles as to how the original badges were worn. If I come up with anything more definitive, I'll let you know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12