X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indifying Tartans by Blair Urquhart

This is my first and until now my one and only book about tartans. I bought it in a second hand shop for 5 kr. (80 cents, 0,5 £) because it shows the tartan of my favourite flannel shirt from my early youth on the front (Stewart Dance). The shirt don't exist anymore it is worn out long ago. But when I was 9 years old I got a sleeping bag - in tartan - and that thing exist yet . I have tried identifying that tartan, but with no luck. Maybe I can find a place in this forum leaving a picture of that tartan.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothuset View Post
    I have tried identifying that tartan, but with no luck. Maybe I can find a place in this forum leaving a picture of that tartan.
    Post it into the Tartan Place and one of us will be able to help.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The oddest thing happens when I check the posts. I find that someone else had the sleeping bag and flannel shirt I wore out during my 1960's camping trips. Red solid canvas exterior with that lovely wool interior red/black checked, with fine green lines. An ocean apart and we're still of the same "ilk". I hope this translates for you okay, Pothuset. There's more than monsters coming from the Castle of "URGggggg.." its called auto-correct.
    Last edited by Tarheel; 10th October 14 at 03:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sleeping bag is like a wide quilt with a zipper around three of the four edges. With open zipper it is a quilt, with a closed zipper it is a sleeping bag. It is made with nylon outside (the tartan) and with blue cotton inside. When the rain stops monday, I'll take the sleeping bag outside and take som photos. Figheadair have been so kind telling me where to drop them on this site.

11th Oct 2014
    How strange. I've just stumbled over the tartan of my sleeping bag. It's called MacBeth.
    Last edited by Pothuset; 11th October 14 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Some add-ons