X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stillwater Black Watch Kilt

Hello All,

After getting my first kilt (an acrylic one from eBay), I've realized I really want a more real one. Unfortunately, a custom one isn't possible right now, so I was thinking about going with a 5 yard blackwatch economy wool kilt from Stillwater. I've read some of the reviews and comments and they seem to be mostly positive, but I wanted to get other opinions to see if there's a better option or if there's a huge drawback on the Stillwaters or...whatever.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Josh

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Piedmont Highlander For This Useful Post:

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with a Stillwater, although they didn't make the economy wool model back then. It's a decent starter kilt for the money. If you get into wearing the kilt, you will probably want a better kilt eventually, but it's exactly as advertised. BTW, make sure you have an open space on your porch when you order, Jerry's shipping speed is legendary.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Geoff Withnell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own two of the Blackwatch economy wool kilts and they are worth it. One I keep for nice and the other for daily wear, travel and camping. They wash and press out easily.

Only proof comes with photos

Excuse the short socks and all, this was taken for a quick post and photo here on XMarks

Clowning around with my sister-inlaw down in Texas

Camping and hiking in Colorado in the one I keep for daily use, travel and camping.

Cooking up haggis, hashbrowns and runny eggs

Around the warming fire, wool wont melt on ya like acrylic

The Blackwatch economy wool is pleated to stripe and looks very nice. Ive repressed mine twice.
    Last edited by brewerpaul; 2nd October 14 at 12:40 PM.
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

6. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to brewerpaul For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's definitely a starter kilt, but a "real" starter kilt (OK, it's NOT made in Scotland). I feel sort of foolish now for buying the acrylic one. Eventually I want to buy a custom 8 yard kilt.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Piedmont Highlander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont Highlander View Post
    It's definitely a starter kilt, but a "real" starter kilt (OK, it's NOT made in Scotland). I feel sort of foolish now for buying the acrylic one. Eventually I want to buy a custom 8 yard kilt.
    Yes it is a starter kilt and no it isn't made in Scotland. For the price it is impossible to be anything but a Pakistan made starter. But for the price you get a nice quality wool garment that if cared for can be worn casual or formal. Tanks are nice to have but it is hard to come up with or justify 250-600 dollars per kilt. I think you will find an invesment in one of Stillwater's economy wool will be a good investment. To me the nice thing about Blackwatch is that it is very versatile. I can mix quite a few combinations of kilt hose, black or brown leather shoes and kit, and a variety of shirts, coats and waistcoats. They all look great. It even causals down with a nice t-shirt, charcoal kilt hose or scrunched down socks(not my style) and boots. I always get compliments when I go to my weekly farmers market. If budget is your issue you wont go wrong here. I also have one of Stillwater's standard acrylic kilt (my second kilt I bought myself three years ago). For an acrylic it is a nice kilt.

My farmer friend Kenny standing proudly behind a bin of cabbage he sold me at the farmers market. Im in my Stillwater economy wool Blackwatch, which I wear every weekend to the market.
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to brewerpaul For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked out the economy wool on the stillwater website. Why is it so cheap? If it is what it says it is, and I were in the US, I'd definitely get one. It's only marginally more expensive than what it costs me to buy a decent PV kilt here.

Edit: Just checked out their standard 7/8 yard heavyweight wool kilt. That's bleedin' cheap as well. How come they're so cheap????
    Last edited by bwat; 3rd October 14 at 12:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's because it's made in Pakistan. But I do wonder how they're able to get wool at so low a price.

Mel1721L is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's because it's made in Pakistan. But I do wonder how they're able to get wool at so low a price.
    Beacuse they use cheap labour. Often children. I'm talking in general, I don't know if this company sources its kilts from suppliers using cheap child labour, but that is what happens in India and Pakistan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search the entire forum for "Stillwater" and also read the Stillwater forum posts. They are advertisers and have a dedicated forum.
    Last edited by California Highlander; 3rd October 14 at 06:12 AM.

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to California Highlander For This Useful Post:

Raymond is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to thank all of you for the positive comments on the Stillwater Kilts. I have had these guys bookmarked for a while and I have had my eye on the "Nightwatch" kilt with pipers fly plaid. Well they were out of stock on that so I settled for the standard black watch kilt and got the pipers fly plaid with that. I figure this will be my "sunday go to meeting" kilt and plaid.

I ordered this yesterday afternoon and I already got notice this morning that my kilt is getting shipped. I am looking forward to this kilt and can't wait to see it once we get back to Texas.

Ray

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Raymond For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast