X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clan MacDougall - Clan Chief

I am asking a few questions for those "more in the know" about Clan structure, etc., for a friend of mine where I work. He has not joined us here online at the XMTS Forum, but has proposed some questions and I said I would try to help.

1. The present Clan Chief of Clan MacDougall appears to be held by a female and recognized by Lord Lyon or whom?

2. Finding the present Clan Chief of MacDougall, what would be her present title, as one would address her when writing her post?

3. He does realize that there is a difference between Clan Societies and the Clan Chief and descendant line, but is the Clan in this case, in having a female chief, treated any differently as far as leadership?

Thank you for links ( as I've found quite a few, including one with a post address for the present Clan Chief. ) and/or any info that would make his navigation easier as he becomes more familiar with his clan.

Hawk

( I'm going to refer him to visit our forum here so he can read responses and any help posted )
    Shawnee / Anishinabe and Clan Colquhoun

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's my understanding that the MacDougalls regard Morag Morley MacDougall of MacDougall as their de facto chief. Having taken over for her aunt, she is not yet recognized by the Lyon Court, but is considered the "probable" 31st chief in the line.

As far as I know, being the recognized chief has nothing to do with the gender of the title holder, but is entirely down to the fact that the person is of demonstrable descent/relation to the previous chief.

As for the proper way to address one's chief: http://www.debretts.com/forms-addres...ftain-or-laird

See her entry in "The Peerage": http://www.thepeerage.com/p51066.htm#i510660

Morag MacDougall1
    F, #510660, b. 21 November 1939
    Last Edited=27 Aug 2011
    Morag MacDougall was born on 21 November 1939.1 She is the daughter of Stephen John Hadfield and Jean Louisa Morag Macdougall, 30th of Dunollie.2 She married Richard Morley, son of Dr. John Edwin Morley, on 30 July 1966.1
    Licentiate College of Speech Therapists.1 She was educated Sherborne Sch and Kingdon-Ward Sch of Speech Therapy.1 She was also known as Morag Hadfield 31st of Dunollie.2 In 1306 still possesses the Brooch of Lorn, won from ROBERT I in the Battle of Dalrigh 1306 (see below).1 In 1990 probable 31st Chief of the Name and Arms of MacDougall of MacDougall having succeeded her aunt (although not yet recognised by Lord Lyon King of Arms).1 She lived in 2003 at Dunollie Castle, Oban, Argyllshire, Scotland.1
    Children of Morag MacDougall and Richard Morley
    Robin Hamish MacDougall2 b. 18 Mar 1970
    Fiona MacDougall2 b. 31 May 1974
    Citations
    [S37] BP2003 volume 2, page 2480. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S37]
    [S37] BP2003. [S37]

Of course, if I'm mistaken in any of this, I'm sure I'll be set straight forthwith by someone more knowledgeable!
    Last edited by ShaunMaxwell; 14th October 14 at 07:18 PM.
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The chief is Madam Morag MacDougall of MacDougall: the correct form of address is Dear Madam MacDougall.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off I want to thank Hawk for starting this subject up for me.

I do have some questions about my Heritage and if I have enough of a claim to Scottish ancestry. My last name is Steussy which is an Americanized Stussi (Which is Swiss). And for most of my life I never had the knowledge past that point. I was always told that the both my Father's family (Stussi) and my Mother’s Family (Olsen) both immigrated to the US in the late 1800 and any mixing of the family line occur from that point forward. I was told that I have some Scottish and Irish and English blood as well as Spanish and German. So I always thought great I am an American through and through. But I wanted to track my Ancestry so joined Ancestry.com and started tracing my way back through the decades.

Turns out that both the Stussi and Olsen family lines were grafted onto a more substantial American tree than I though. Instead of the both of the men bring wives from the old country they found themselves some American ones. To make a long story short... (I know too late) I have family on this Continent from back when it was "The Colonies". So I started trying to place the names and the nationalities to each ancestor. Turns out I have quit a few Scottish roots on my paternal side. But with MacDowell's on both my Grandmother's and my Grandfather's sides of the tree this lead me to the conclusion that the Clan that I have more ties too are the clan MacDougall. That was all well and good, that side of the family was from areas of the country that were not hit quite so hard from Reconstruction and had a better record system. My mother's side is from Pensacola Florida and the records are hard to come by. But I learned that my maternal Grandfather's Grandmother was a Cowan. I know that the name Cowan has ties to both MacDougall and Colquhoun. But there are no documents that can take me back any farther at this time. I feel that I have a strong argument for Clan MacDougall, but I really don't want to claim something without some type of verification. Thus why I would like to write to the clan chief and ask if my claim is valid or not. Just making the claim without and okay feels a lot like claiming veteran’s status without truly serving. Yes I have Scottish blood, but with a melting pot heritage and no Scottish Surname I do not want to make the claim let alone go out and pick out plaids, without getting an okay from the Chief. So the help from the responses to this post have been great and have given me a place to start my letter, hopefully this explanation will help further focus the info needed to draft my letter.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Lochaber19 For This Useful Post: