X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, welcome from Japan

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to creagantuirc For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchwiz View Post
    Was Walter Rybka the captain when you sailed? I met him once and I'm almost positive he was captain in the late 80's or early 90's. If I remember correctly, he was also involved in the restoration of the tall ship Elissa in Galveston, TX late 70's-early 80's. I have a National Geographic video about the story of the restoration and the first sailing of the Elissa after she was refitted. What a massive undertaking!

Owen Sound is a marine hub for the Great Lakes. We used to have both CN and CP rail lines into harbour area which brought wheat from out west to be loaded onto ships for transport around the world. We still have functional grain elevators on the harbour with lakers coming & going all summer. Every winter we have several lakers docked, sometimes for refitting, and of course, the Owen Sound Transportation Company winters the ferry, the Chi-Cheemaun in our harbour every year. She looks beautiful all lit up for our Festival of Northern Lights from mid November to the first week of January!

For the last two summers, Owen Sound has had tall ships in her harbour. Last year we were on the Tall Ships 1812 Tour commemorating the tall ships which were involved in the war of 1812 - pivotal to our history here.

We had two major events running at the same time, last year, and I volunteered many hours at both events. The Summerfolk Music Festival and the Tall Ships 1812 Tour. As a volunteer for the Tour, I was privileged to be able to board 3 of the tall ships and explore them with just the crew and a few other volunteers on board. What fun I had for about 4 hours! I took almost a 100 photos for my grandson, until my battery died! I was on the Pride of Baltimore II, the Playfair and Liana's Ransom. There was a 4th vessel called the Wild Irish Rose which was much smaller, and we weren't able to board her. There was supposed to be a 5th vessel, the Fair Jeanne, but she was struck by a fishing trawler on Lake Erie during the week she was due in Owen Sound, and was damaged badly enough that she had to go in for repairs. My only regret was that I was unable to schedule an excursion out onto the lake on Liana's Ransom. Not enough time in the day!

I found a website for the tour which has some good videos about the development of this whole region and the second has some great photos. Explore. You need to click on various photos to get the gallery displaying / videos playing:
    http://www.1812bicentennial.com
    https://www.tallshipsowensound.com

Owen Sound also has the Great Lakes International Marine Training & Research Centre (GLIMTRC) at Georgian College. We have lots of marine engineering students in the area now for the 3 yr program. This is probably something you would know about:
    http://www.georgianc.on.ca/marine/glimtc/

As you can see, we have a strong marine connection here.

Actually, this whole area is richly blessed. Owen Sound has been designated as a Cultural Capital of Canada - there is not one of art form, hobby or professional, theatrical, musical, visual or other which I can't find within a half hour of my front door.

I'd better get of my soapbox before I'm shot down - this is a kilting forum.

Just acknowledging the kilted part of our region, we have several world class celtic dance schools and several pipe bands (my daughter used to play). And a wonderful gentleman who we square danced with, who has piped many a ship's captain off the first vessel entering the harbour in the spring. Several counties around us were settled by mainly by Scottish / Celtic immigrants. You just have to look at a map and the names of the towns are an excellent indication of who settled here.

Hope you can come to our area again sometime. Lots for you to see and do. And of course, we'd be happy to have a wee drop or a coffee/tea with you.

Happy Sailing Heather!
    Oh yes, Walter Rybka was the master of the Niagara when I started as a volunteer in 1997 up until he retired and Wes Heersson took over in, oh, 2003-ish? Now Wes works for the same company I work for on 'The Big Uglies' (though he works in the Gulf Of Mexico). Captain Rybka and the Niagara were the start of my maritime career, twisted though it has been. My father worked on Subs and my grandfather was a Marine Engineer for the NAVY, and back and back again to Mother Russia as sailors on the male line, I guess salt water is in my veins a bit.

In my youth I sailed on
    The US Brig Niagara for 6 years http://www.flagshipniagara.org/
    The Lady Washington http://historicalseaport.org/about-u...ady-washington
    The Hawaiian Chieftain http://historicalseaport.org/about-u...iian-chieftain
    The Lynx (which I sailed from California-Hawaii-Canada-California almost all with no GPS) http://privateerlynx.com
    The Denis Sullivan (As a master rigger for a trip through the Erie Barge Canal from New York City to Oswego, NY) http://www.schoonerdenissullivan.org

Come to think of it, I have sailed into the Georgian Bay, though in the north of the bay, way back in 1997 or so. I do forget the name of the city, but it started with a P and was imposably long. I remember we had to tie the Niagara to trees because the dock was so small! Beautiful area though.

I have sailed up and through all the lakes many times, though I don't get there much any more. I do try and volunteer myself in the Tall Ship festivals when my schedule allows, though I need to make it a point more often I think (Don't you just love to volunteer!). I would love a cuppa should I find myself up your way! Ditto yourself if you happen to be in the White Mountains of New Hampshire or NE of Atlanta. I'll take you riding if you like? My two horses are sorrily neglected.

Back to kilts- I had mentioned that we were often piped off the vessel upon returning to Erie, PA on the Niagara. That was the first time I had ever seen a man in a full kilt dress. I don't mind telling you I almost swooned! Maybe a good thing for him I was a shy 16 year old
    Last edited by Catharps; 19th October 14 at 03:40 PM.
    I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harms way. - John Paul Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Failte a xmarksthescot!

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Theyoungkiltman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, Heather. Welcome from the West Midlands of England.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kiltedjohn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Chicagoland.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Sample m For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Catharps, if you sailed on the Lady Washington, you might have known elder Sandy MacKenzie ( Capt Mac here on XMTS ) ?

Hawk
    Shawnee / Anishinabe and Clan Colquhoun

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Catharps, if you sailed on the Lady Washington, you might have known elder Sandy MacKenzie ( Capt Mac here on XMTS ) ?

Hawk
    No I'm I afraid I don't Hawk. This was in, oh, 2000? 2001? through 2003. I was mostly crew on the Hawaiian Chieftain at the time, but during the school year the two vessels worked together though they were not both owned by Greys Harbor at the time. To fight fatigue and cross train, the crews would switch boats for a time.

She is a beautiful girl!

** Funny story- while on the Lynx sailing to Hawaii, the movie 'Pirate of the Caribbean' came out in theater. We shut the Lynx down with only one hand to watch her and the entire crew went into town to see the premiere of the movie. Knowing the ship as we do- there was a scene where the 'Interceptor' (I.E. Lady Washington) was said to be the fastest boat on the water- 'Nothing can catch her!'. To the confusion of the rest of the packed crowd, one row of viewers burst into hysterics.

Ohhh, good times. Hello Mr. MacKenzie!
    I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harms way. - John Paul Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cap'n Heather and a warm welcome from sunny Queensland!
    Regards, Sav.

"The Sun Never Sets on X-Marks!"

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to WillowEstate For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from Scotland.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to cessna152towser For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Catharps, If you were on the Lady Washington/Hawaiian Chieftain when they docked at Hood River, OR, then it is possible that I may have talked with you. It is a small world after all.

Doug

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Doug D For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast