X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, Norm.

Having only procured my kilt this past August, I have known how you feel; having the guts to wear it. But, really, why get one if you are not going to? In almost no time at all, I found choosing to wear my kilt is not much different than choosing to wear anything else in the wardrobe. In fact, I have made a pact with myself to wear it at least once a week.

I'm very curious regarding the style and colour you've choosen. Hope a picture gets posted soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. I did not know there was a Cherokee tartan. I looked it up to see what it looks like. Maybe some day I will see if it is available. I just recieved my blue tartan Sport Kilt, and really like it! First time I ever wore a kilt, so light and comfortable. I ordered a sporran to go with it so it would look all the more manly; that no one would have any doubts. Unfortunately, I ordered the sporran after the fact. Gotta wait for it to arrive...
    Proverbs 14:27 is a good one. Good to see it here!
    Because of the Cherokee part, I cannot grow a good beard like many who have Scottish heritage. Only on my chin...
    South Africa... you must be going through Spring right now. We are going through Fall. Wanna trade?
    Have a good one...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. Having lived in these parts, you know that springtime is not real conducive to kilt wearing (i.e. 60mph winds)... but the rest of the year is fair game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool... did you notice the little girl on the right, in the background, smiling? If there are those wearing kilts in Prescott, maybe... just maybe there are some in Show Low. Just got my Sport Kilt yesterday; love it!

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Norm For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the original (1974) version better, but is it available on CD? I was in a store that sold old vinyl records a few months ago and saw not one, not two but three vinyl records of Hergest Ridge.

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norm, your Fall is beautiful, but your winter is bitterrrrrly cold! Our winters are cold enough, but at least where I live there is no snowfall. We do have snow on the mountains, and sometimes we can see it from the coast, but we also have quite warm winter days.
    Kilts are addictive. I suspect you will order one in Cherokee tartan before you get much older.
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norm ! Welcome ! This is a great site, friendly and give great advice etc.. Hi from New Jersey ! Wear your beautiful kilts where ever the road leads you :-).... Angie

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just looked up Cherokee tartan... it's beautiful

http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tar...e.aspx?ref=627

I'm sure to have some Cherokee blood. My family was the first Europeans to settle in what is now southwest West Virginia, in the late 18th century. My understanding had been that that area was Cherokee and this map seems to confirm it. Though no Cherokees show up on the written Family Tree my father sure had a native look to him!

http://www.native-languages.org/wvirginia.htm
    Last edited by OC Richard; 27th October 14 at 05:53 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi OC Richard,

The Cherokee tartan is really multicolored, and beautiful. I cannot trace my Cherokee past, all I know is my uncle looks like he could live on the reservation, and I cannot grow a beard to save my life (goatee only w/thin moustache). NO sideburns. Still waiting on a second kilt, a utility type. However, the weather here is growing cold and windy (elevation a mile high), so I picked the wrong time of year to try and wear kilts outdoors.

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your sparse growth of beard intrigues me, because it is a lot like what my son has.
    I have been bearded since I was 21, and have not shaved since finishing my last army duty in 1977. My beard is now white, and hangs down to my chest.
    But my son complains that he has no growth on his cheeks, very little on his chin and a gap in the middle of what would be his moustache!
    No idea where he gets that lack of facial growth from, but I’m pretty sure it’s not my side of the family.
    And unlike you it cannot be put down to Native American genes, since the wife and I are mostly of European descent, while my parents both had a trace of (Asian) Indian going back to the 17th century.
    All the same, it’s good that you cultivate what you have.
    Many of my compatriots, being of African descent, have much less facial hair than I have. Those of Khoisan descent generally have a moustache and a tuft under the chin only. Those who have dark skins and speak Bantu languages generally have a bit more.
    Regards,
    Mike
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mike_Oettle For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast