X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    I'm trying to read between the lines here but just because it's not Fraser of Altyre, doesn't mean that it couldn't be another gentleman named Fraser.
    Absolutely corrrect Nathan. It's a significant piece in the tartan story, and with a passing Canadian connection too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it has a passing Canadian connection , could the tartan have some connection to the Fraser's Highlanders ? ( later to become the 78 th Highland Regiment of Foot )

They were shipped to Nova Scotia and had a role in the 7 Years War ( French and Indian War ) and were thought to have worn a modified Fraser tartan rather than the Government sett .
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGumerait View Post
    If it has a passing Canadian connection , could the tartan have some connection to the Fraser's Highlanders ? ( later to become the 78 th Highland Regiment of Foot )

They were shipped to Nova Scotia and had a role in the 7 Years War ( French and Indian War ) and were thought to have worn a modified Fraser tartan rather than the Government sett .
    And there you have it.... I need to update my paper with the details but it should be obvious who the original owner was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    And there you have it.... I need to update my paper with the details but it should be obvious who the original owner was.
    All this for "of Lovat"?

Like I said, seems to relegate the balance of tartanology to the bin. As well, at one point, you mentioned "I realize I am in possession of all the facts...". The "Canadian" detail is significant.

Ryan
    Last edited by Domehead; 18th August 15 at 04:16 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Domehead View Post
    All this for "of Lovat"?

Like I said, seems to relegate the balance of tartanology to the bin. As well, at one point, you mentioned "I realize I am in possession of all the facts...". The "Canadian" detail is significant.

Ryan
    Of Lovat? I think not!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of Lovat? I think not!
    Sir, I've been nothing but respectful. I've hung myself out on this forum, leave to great criticism, simultaneously divulging and sourcing my methodology. In return, I've intimated, in fact begged for a Student-Teacher recidivism. I no longer appreciate being toyed with. I'm out.

Ryan M. Liddell

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ryan, you have been nitpicking with Peter all along, and now you accuse him of toying with you.
    I also am curious about old tartans, but Peter is the undisputed expert.

Peter, I would be most interested in seeing your revision of the paper you refer to, as well as a reassessment of the plethora of tartans supposed to have been worn by Charles Edward Stuart.
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Oettle View Post
    Ryan, you have been nitpicking with Peter all along, and now you accuse him of toying with you.
    I also am curious about old tartans, but Peter is the undisputed expert.

Peter, I would be most interested in seeing your revision of the paper you refer to, as well as a reassessment of the plethora of tartans supposed to have been worn by Charles Edward Stuart.
    Mr. Oettle,
    Clearly, you are not familiar with my postings, nor my interaction with Mr. MacDonald, to characterize my posts on this topic as "nitpicking" - not only unfair, but patently inaccurate. As well, at no point in any interaction with Mr. MacDonald have I ever attempted to usurp his unquestioned authority, as you have so clearly eluded - which again is not only unfair but patently inaccurate. Please reserve your sycophancy for the intended target directly and excuse me from it.

I have nothing, as iterated, but respect for Mr. MacDonald, his work, the work of his father and those that have come before. As well, I have sought and intellectualized the caution levied against some members of the established cannon (Dr. Phillip D. Smith to name but one). My objection is to the willful acknowledgement of "facts in evidence" some will never have and failure to reveal methodology, which may assist our collective betterment, to the same scrutiny I avail myself of. To this end, these particular exercises are not teacher-student, they are cat-mouse - a game I'm no longer comfortable with.

As stated previously and indisputably documented, at no time, have I ever attempted to insinuate an air of authority over Mr. MacDonald, erudition please to excuse. This conversation was perpetuated at the OP's invitation, the density of which was commented on by followers.

If anything I've responded irks you, Mr. Oettle, please PM me so that others may enjoy the reveal.
    Ryan M. Liddell

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With that , I'm guessing Simon Fraser of Balnain .
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGumerait View Post
    With that , I'm guessing Simon Fraser of Balnain .
    Getting warmer but not quite.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast