X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun-91 View Post
    why is it so hard to get the Campbell tartan from the off-the-rack manufacturers. Campbell is arguably on of the larger clans yet no rentals agencies seem to even consider it an option.
    I find this curious because Campbell/Black Watch is one of the most widely available tartans, available at many Kilt Hire shops and off-the-peg for purchase.

It's the most popular tartan at a local Kilt Hire shop here, evidently because the dark colours look elegant and formal.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun-91 View Post
    Thanks all. I will keep an eye out for the tartan I really want. (Ancient or weathered).
    This the one?
    http://www.kinlochanderson.com/tarta...ght-blue/JR023

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You think those tartans are hard to find, try looking for one of my clans (Guthrie). Virtually no one stocks it, and only a few weavers offer it at all, let alone in 16 oz. Always a special order from vendors.

It's a shame too, because it is an extremely handsome tartan:

Last edited by Mike S; 27th October 14 at 08:01 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Mike S For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My patrilineal surname (Clements) is a sept of Lamont or Lamond (which happens to be my given name) which in turn is associated with Campbell, so I would wear other Campbell tartans proudly and without hesitation. I have searched high and low for a ready-made kilt in Lamont tartan, and it too simply does not exist. I was not aware of Campbell and Black Watch being one and the same but, given that I do own a Black Watch kilt, I rather like the idea.
    Best Regards,
    DyerStraits

"I Wish Not To Intimidate, And Know Not How To Fear"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taskr View Post
    I Think it looks quight smart my self .

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somebody mentioned Black Watch/Campbell in ancient and weathered colours, and it's one of those amazing things, that a tartan deceptively simple like that can look so wonderful, and so interesting, when done up in different colour schemes.

Some of the most beautiful kilts I've ever seen have been Black Watch/Campbell in weathered/reproduction colours, and in HOE muted colours (the blues and greens positively glow), and in ancient colours.

If I were a Campbell I'd probably end up with a kilt in each variant!

Here's Frank A's Ancient Campbell kilt from USA Kilts. Look at those lovely colours

And English Bloke's Campbell in weathered colours

I hope you guys don't mind me re-posting your posted pics!
    Last edited by OC Richard; 28th October 14 at 03:24 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DyerStraits View Post
    My patrilineal surname (Clements) is a sept of Lamont or Lamond (which happens to be my given name) which in turn is associated with Campbell, so I would wear other Campbell tartans proudly and without hesitation. I have searched high and low for a ready-made kilt in Lamont tartan, and it too simply does not exist. I was not aware of Campbell and Black Watch being one and the same but, given that I do own a Black Watch kilt, I rather like the idea.
    I didn't think that the Lamonts were associated with the Campbells in a very good way!
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Macman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Actually Simon that sign is still there, but the real story about that, is nothing to do with the historic feuds between the MacDonalds and the Campbells. However, it was everything to do with the then landlord(who is still alive and wears the kilt regularly), a crusty fellow on a good day, who happened to be a MacDonald who had a bit of a disagreement with his bank manager, who happened to be, well, a Campbell. As to the "Hawkers", he gave short shrift to company representatives who called in without making an appointment, it was absolutely nothing to do with those with the name of "Hawker"!

The sign.
    Indeed, Jock. Lovely place for a wee nip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My family, Turner, is included in the Lamont clan and we've always held that there were not positive connections with the Campbells.

From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Lamont

Clan Lamont's historical domain was a prominent one; for centuries, they powerfully ruled almost all of the rugged lands of the Cowal peninsula in Argyll. However, Clan Lamont was severely crippled by the Dunoon Massacre in 1646, when Campbell clansmen brutally murdered around 200 Lamont clan members. As a result of this and other events, Clan Lamont was repressed into smaller areas of Cowal. Many Lamonts moved to different parts of Scotland, particularly to the lowland areas. Today, Lamonts are widespread across the globe (Canada, Australia, Britain and more.) [3]

Our local highland games parade of clans routinely boos the Campbells when they march, but there's never been any actual animosity amongst the (how many centuries later?) descendants. It's more good natured historical booing than even the modern Yankees vs. Red Sox, which can lead to fisticuffs.

I'm not intending to whisper, the link changed my font and I can't fix it.

Los Altos (Silicon Valley), California, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being Clan Lamont myself and throwing a wisp wisp of the politics into my answer, if you look up Dunoon Massacre it will point out that indeed the Lamonts and the Campbells did not share much love back in the day. And it is worth pointing out that the Lamont clan tartan was the first to be officially registered... yet still can be hard to come by ready made despite that distinction. So the Campbell's victims are in the same boat in terms of finding their tartan "off the peg" as they say across the pond or "off the rack" as they say in the states. And yes I know that the Lamonts probably pulled some pretty shady deals back then as well. So it certainly went both ways. The clan on clan violence was at times quite brutal back in the day.

It's great to see that these days we all come together as descendants of these warring clans to help each other out.

And thanks for posting the hawkers/Campbells sign. I couldn't remember the name of the inn. The last time I had a dram there was 1997... Memories.

Slàinte!
    Last edited by CeilidhDoc; 4th November 14 at 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling typos, as usual

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast