X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! I am a bit jealous ;-)

IW
    Vestis virum reddit

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to IsaacW For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me know when your sporrans arrive Richard. I received mine this morning. In case any of you are wondering.... Artificers bags are a little bit bigger than the old MOD bags that were issued with the cantles.
    Here is my MOD Cantle and MOD issued bag next to another MOD cantle (the one I sent to Scott (Artificer) and his bags, to show you some of the size differences.

I trust you will be as happy with your purchase Richard, as I am.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artificersporranbag.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	22928Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artificersporranbag1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	22929Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artificersporranbag2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	22930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artificersporranbag3.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	22931
    Last edited by Kilted Cole; 29th October 14 at 12:53 PM. Reason: clairification
    "REMEMBER!"

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Kilted Cole For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wonderful sporrans Gents !! @KiltedCole do you have up close pictures of your dark hair MOD sporran ? looks awesome
    Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Thomas H For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sporran arrived yesterday! People always say, about Artificer's work, that "photos don't do it justice" and it's true.

The leather has a wonderful subtle pebble grain to the surface, and is butter-soft to the touch. The fine braided cords to the tassels are works of art, as are the tassels themselves.

As you can see in the OP photo my sporran has an extra-big bag, which I requested, both because I'm a big guy (6'4" 230lb) and because I'm always carrying a load of stuff. The original MOD bag was small and stiff and wouldn't hold much stuff.

I'll wear the sporran tomorrow at a funeral I'm piping at.

One question: do the brass loops at the back stain your kilt?
    Last edited by OC Richard; 30th October 14 at 06:06 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    My sporran arrived yesterday! People always say, about Artificer's work, that "photos don't do it justice" and it's true.

The leather has a wonderful subtle pebble grain to the surface, and is butter-soft to the touch. The fine braided cords to the tassels are works of art, as are the tassels themselves.

As you can see in the OP photo my sporran has an extra-big bag, which I requested, both because I'm a big guy (6'4" 230lb) and because I'm always carrying a load of stuff. The original MOD bag was small and stiff and wouldn't hold much stuff.

I'll wear the sporran tomorrow at a funeral I'm piping at.

One question: do the brass loops at the back stain your kilt?
    Thanks, all, for the very kind comments- especially given my less-than-sterling photos (my shop camera died at the end of last week and I've been WAAAY too busy to begin researching buying a new one, so I'm stuck using my phone which doesn't have a macro or manual setting).

I do wish I could find more of that leather- it was on the thick side of usable for sporrans, but it skived reasonably well, and the buttery quality was unsurpassed for a leather that had that much body. :/
    @OC Richard, I wear my brass cantle quite often and have never noticed any patina/transfer from the brass loops to my apron. I think it would be more of an issue if it were left resting on the kilt for long periods of storage than with regular wear.

ith:

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to artificer For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard ,

Absolutely gorgeous sporran ! I love the style you selected and I love the leather color .

Scott , you truly are an " artificer " .

Now for the really BIG question .... Richard , does this mean the goat hair is going into retirement ?

Cheers , Mike
    Last edited by MacGumerait; 30th October 14 at 10:04 PM.
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGumerait View Post

Now for the really BIG question .... Richard , does this mean the goat hair is going into retirement ?
    It will not, but now finally I have an alternative. I've been wearing that goathair thing all the time, in every sort of dress, for years now. The only times I don't wear it is 1) with the band, where I have to match and 2) when I'm in military Full Dress.

Now I have TWO "go-to" sporrans, the goathair for when I'm wearing the black Argyll and the Culloden for when I'm wearing tweed.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very handsome sporran! Very nice. Lovely workmanship. Congratulations on this addition.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sydnie7 View Post
    Congrats on the new purchase, and on the addition of a new term to the XMarks lexicon!
    Thanks! But I'll have to decline the credit for the term, because it actually quite old, making its first appearance in Geoffrey Chaucer's Cadbury Tales, specifically in The Tale of The Wife's Bath.

artificianado Pronunciation: \är-ti-fi-see-an-ah-doh!\ : noun : 14th century : an appreciator of the artistic work of a master craftsman

16. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Eyre, Loch Snizort, by Portree ~ Isle of Skye
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God bless auto-correct?

[QUOTE=OC Richard;1264270]Thanks! But I'll have to decline the credit for the term, because it actually quite old, making its first appearance in Geoffrey Chaucer's Cadbury Tales, specifically in The Tale of The Wife's Bath.

The Cadbury Tales, indeed a grand olde classic of English Literature . Were they not the ones where Chaucer incorporated the history of the discovery of chocolate with the everyday lives of everyday people in their pilgrimage to the holy of holies ~ Willie Wonka's Chocolate factory where the guidwife bathed daily in chocolate?

Orionson
    "I seek not to follow in the footsteps of the men of old.
    I seek the things they sought." ~ Basho

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Orionson For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast