X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New boots

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New boots

I am looking into getting some new boots to wear, I am wondering if any of the ramble has gotten either of these two options and can tell me about the durability and comfort of these two boots. http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/highlan...lie-boots.html, http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/highlan...her-boots.html granted the second option will be more for festivals and Ren Faires. Any help on the matter will be helpful.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're looking for a brogued boot for a reasonable price, you might consider the Montacute Lord by Clarks. I think they're better looking than the ghillie boots.

You can find them on Amazon or Zappo's. I recently purchased a pair of the dark tan variety, and have no complaints so far. They're quite comfortable, though they do run a tad large. You might order a half size smaller than normal.
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a boot expert by any means, but I'm a big fan of Dr Martens in general both for wear-ability and durability. That first link you posted looks an awful lot like a Dr Martens Affleck:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e124de7fd8711c509cbe05c0cd03362e.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	23039

I have a new pair of these in the black and white oxford style, and I think they are great boots, but they DO require a considerable break-in period!

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Martens-Aff.../dp/B00IM55DOI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would totally avoid the taller moccasin looking boots you have on the second link. They are really specific and only seem right for Renaissance fairs or reenactment. A way too limited in wearing options. As where a nice brogue boot can go pretty much anywhere from casual to suit and tie type affairs. I am thinking that black might be more versatile, but that is based more on my kilt/sporran options than anything. Definitely go for one of the brogues.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So looking into the recommendations all of them are around the same price. So I will keep thinking and looking. Thank you all for your input.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've a pair of Allen Edmonds Longbranch boots that I find I can wear with kilt, breeks or jeans. They are about as comfortable as you can get and are hand made. For a price of 350 they are steep but if you get on Allen Edmonds mailing list you might pick them up for the price I did, 250$. They have quite a few other nice boots and shoes to that are all kilt worthy.

"Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to brewerpaul For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brewerpaul View Post
    I've a pair of Allen Edmonds Longbranch boots that I find I can wear with kilt, breeks or jeans. They are about as comfortable as you can get and are hand made. For a price of 350 they are steep but if you get on Allen Edmonds mailing list you might pick them up for the price I did, 250$. They have quite a few other nice boots and shoes to that are all kilt worthy.

I just saw these in my local Nordstrom Rack on clearance for $100. I really tried to fit my foot into them, but they were too small. I'm considering buying them full-price because I love the look so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Longbranch boot is on sale on the Allen Edmonds web site at the moment.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline..._-1?style=6043

Does this boot have a removable insole?
    Last edited by Michael Flemming; 25th November 14 at 10:36 AM.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Michael Flemming For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I highly doubt that Allen Edmonds would use removable insoles in their general line of footwear. I know that some of their "comfort shoes" and "golf shoes" do, but by and large, they use a leather and cork footbed (which is integral to the shoe's construction) as shoemakers have done for a few hundred years. Such construction prevents boot stink, allows for proper support of the foot (news flash: cushion and support are mutually exclusive in most cases), and makes for a sleeker profile (never a bad thing, in the opinion of most shoe-lovers). Go for it... just be prepared for the quality shoes to multiply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have couple of pairs of Joseph Cheaney boots. Very much like the brown brogue boots. They have factory shop with great deals and will ship to teh US. They last forever and look great with Kilts, Plus Fours and jeans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast