X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you about functionality . The very affordable Colt Sgian Dubh should fit the bill . The burl wood looks great in person & it is full tang too . It lists as 3 & 1/8th inch blade I don't know if that's enough to be evil . Here's a link to it : http://www.wildbillwholesale.com/co61fiblhuwo.html
    veritas aequitas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasty Rabbit View Post
    I agree with you about functionality . The very affordable Colt Sgian Dubh should fit the bill . The burl wood looks great in person & it is full tang too . It lists as 3 & 1/8th inch blade I don't know if that's enough to be evil . Here's a link to it : http://www.wildbillwholesale.com/co61fiblhuwo.html
    To clarify, the length of the sharp part of a Colt sgian blade is under 3", but from the start of the handle to the tip (including the blunt ricasso) is 3 1/8"...
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Steve said they are having numerous problems with a glitch right now.
    thank you Anne for taking the photo and posting it.....it really is a beautiful knife....
    and, Father Bill, I'm at work so I will track that down and get back to you on that to help your recovery and counseling on that little slip of a sin..... Hawk
    Ah - I wondered why I was suddenly prompted to take a look at that particular image - my limited psychic powers leading astray a man of the cloth despite all my good intentions.

It was Fr Bill's birthday just the other day, so hopefully something good will come of it in the end.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree padre, it is a beautiful piece of art. and I too am a sinner, but for the grace of God and His son.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to uncle remus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is somewhat of a dead thread but I was browsing my Christmas deal emails recently and came across the Secret Edge knife from Cold Steel. It seems like the absolute perfect blend of modern knife technology and traditional Scottish sgian dubh design. It's also available from several Ebay sellers for as little as $24.00 shipped! I may have to get one of these...

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/11SDT/SECRET_EDGE.aspx
    Last edited by JRB; 8th December 14 at 03:43 PM.
    [B][U]Jay[/U][/B]
    [B]Clan Rose[/B]-[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Constant and True[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][I]"I cut a stout blackthorn to banish ghosts and goblins; In a brand new pair of brogues to ramble o'er the bogs and frighten all the dogs " - D. K. Gavan[/I][/SIZE]

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to JRB For This Useful Post:

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Secret Edge is a very useful knife, and because it is quite thin, it rides well in a sock.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look what came in the mail! I had to post a picture because...holy, cow, is this thing small. I have extremely tiny hands but it's one of the few knives I've held with a handle that doesn't come out the end of my fist. That being said it still handles great and seems sturdy! It's adorably miniature, can't wait until it develops a patina someday. I've included a pen in the picture to demonstrate the small size. Can't wait to tuck it into my hose whenever they come with my new kilt, it feels perfect.

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Highwayman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    can't wait until it develops a patina someday.
    Why not force a patina? Clean the blade really well and then wipe it with boiling vinegar using a cotton ball and a pair of tongs. Stinks like crazy, but about 20 minutes of wiping with the hot vinegar and the blade will look great. I have to admit that I'm also a Mora nut, owning close to a dozen at this point. I always go for the carbon blades rather than the stainless, and I force patinas on all my new blades.
    Last edited by Tartan Hiker; 26th December 14 at 09:58 PM.
    Kilted Teacher and Wilderness Ranger and proud member of Clan Donald, USA
    Happy patron of Jack of the Wood Celtic Pub and Highland Brewery in beautiful, walkable, and very kilt-friendly Asheville, NC.
    New home of Sierra Nevada AND New Belgium breweries!

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tartan Hiker For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a sharp functional blade I carry the Officer's Model Sgian Dubh. Steve sells them at Freedom Kilts, and I believe that Rocky has them at USA Kilts as well. Not too costly, holds a good edge, has a straight bladed screwdriver/bottle opener blade, and a corkscrew blade in the wooden handle ala Swiss army knife style. Not sure on the blade length, but I've carried it all over Illinois, Indiana, Colorado and New Mexico with no problem. BTW I'm also an Illinois resident albeit not from Chicago, but rather the wild unknown regions outside of the I55/I80 area
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going down a less traditional path, I've often carried a CRKT Minimalist as a small every-day knife. Also carry a small folder in my boot, just in case.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast