X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! A great looking tartan, can`t wait to see the finished product.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooh, pretty. Me like. Very much.

Either you have a very "warm" lighting set up for your pics, or that is one very vivid tartan. Either way beeeeeautiful. Good thing it is an out of stock/limited run of tartan or I might start thinking about another future kilt. Great colors.

Congrats.

Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonnie emailed the photos today. They do have a warm look, a bit like they might have some incandescent lighting on them, however the tartan is bright. The orange and gold really stand out. I'm partial to what I call sunset colors, and this tartan has sunset in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lighting definitely affects how the tartan colors look in the photos. It's always a dilemma. I'll try to edit them so they look as close as possible to the actual tartan colors. If it works, I'll post some pictures.
    Bonnie Heather Greene, Kiltmaker and Artist
    Traditional hand stitched kilts, kilt alterations, kilt-skirts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a try at fixing the photo colors....

In this picture you can see the top of the kilt cut off, then stay-stitched at the top, then the machine sewn pleats in the process of me extending them with hand sewing so the fell would be in proportion to the new kilt length. I couldn't take off the belt loops because they were very tightly machine sewn on with several rows of tiny stitches. So I later converted them to sporran loops.

Bonnie Heather Greene, Kiltmaker and Artist
    Traditional hand stitched kilts, kilt alterations, kilt-skirts

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to bonnie heather For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good planning, Heather.
    Looks FAB!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IT'S BACK!

The rebuilt kilt arrived in today's mail. It's as beautiful as ever, and Bonnie did a really fantastic job of making this secondhand kilt truly mine. The fit is perfect, and the craftswomanship is superb.

It originally had three straps and buckles, but now has two, just as I prefer. Bonnie put the left side strap and buckle under the apron, the strap does not pass through a button hole in the usual fashion, which means when it comes time to adjust the fit as I loose wight all I need do is move the two buckles, and not fiddle with the straps. I also think it's easier to put on made this way.

The kilt was originally machine sewn, with the fell stitching being done underneath the pleats where it could not be seen. With the kilt being shortened from the top, from 26 inches to 23.5, the fell had to be extended to get a proper fit at the converted length. Bonnie hand stitched the additional inches. Darn, she's good. Even under bright light and magnification it's hard to see the change from machine to hand stitching.

I wanted this kilt to be a tight fit, with the buckles set to fasten in the holes in the strap nearest the tip, or the first hole, as we usually count them. That's exactly where everything hooks up. Buckled in the first hole, the kilt is tight enough it won't fall down -- and given the way I'm built it's easy for kilts to slide down -- which means as I loose wight I can continue to buckle the kilt tighter for quite a while before I'll ever have to think about moving the buckles. However, it also means I can't gain any weight. That's motivation.

The Woman, being much younger than me, is at work today (I'm retired) so I'll have to wait until she gets home to help with the camera. Then I'll post pictures. It's dreary today, but I think we may have good outdoor lighting soon, so I'll try to get pics focusing on the colors of the sett, just to give everyone a better idea of things.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally! My anticipation for you was nagging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally Pics

Finally got the pictures I promised done today. Sunny days have been uncommon here for a while, and generally when the sun has shone The Woman has been at work. Today we had sunshine, and she was home, so now there are pics of Bonnie's wonderfully reworked Holyrood Golden Jubilee kilt.

The colors look fairly true, I think the camera automatically adjusted for the light conditions. However these pics were made later in the day, when our winter sun was sinking low. Not the best conditions for photographing true colors. The forum manage attachments function forced me to greatly reduce the size of these images and reduce the resolution considerably, so they aren't as sharp as they are in my photo editing program, but still reasonable representation.

Anyway, here they are.

A shot of the entire me. I left the sporran off so the pattern would be fully seen. A tight shot of the kilt apron showing the tartan full-on, and a dismal attempt at the Hamish, to give some idea of how it's pleated.

I've pretty well adopted Steve Ashton's idea if you match the hose and shirt, or in this case a sweater, you can pretty much wear any kilt in between. The hose and sweater in the shots are a creamy white, with brown flecks throughout. The sweater is English, the hose German. Never tried this combination before, but I think it works.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Benning Boy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on you, looks great.

And yes, Bonnie is a true wizard...seeing your pics does reinforce the reputation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12