X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cizinec is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Casual Kilt - Man, It's Nice!

I ordered my son (he's 14) a casual kilt from USA Kilt. He's been wearing a Sport Kilt where I don't think it's appropriate, but I didn't want to drop the cash on something he'd grow out of. I'm not saying anything bad about Sport Kilts either. I've worn mine in Tough Mudders, marathons and road marches (coming up on a GoRuck) and it's held up well and doesn't look bad for sporting. However, it's not a pub kilt, imo.

I just got our USA Kilt order today, earlier than I expected. Holy cow, it's super nice. I'm not sure exactly what I expected, but, dang, it's as nice as folks on this board have said. I don't mind the boy going out with his kilt anymore.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to cizinec For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cizinec,

Glad to see you here on the forum. I agree with you that USA Kilts, Rocky and crew, do wonderful work. What tartan did you get for your son? I have the Celtic Nations. I love it. I just was curious about one thing. Your son is 14. Does he go to the pub with you? (You did say that his Sport Kilt was not fit for a pub.) If he does, I know a lot of teen boys who will be moving to Oklahoma very quickly. LOL If I ever get out your way, I will be glad to take a pub tour with you.

Have a happy holiday season.

Tom
    "Life may have its problems, but it is the best thing they have come up with so far." Neil Simon, Last of the Red Hot Lovers, Act 3. "Ob la di, Ob la da. Life goes on. Braaa. La la how the life goes on." Beatles

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kiltedtom For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cizinec View Post
    He's been wearing a Sport Kilt where I don't think it's appropriate
    This caught me off guard. There was a time (not long ago) when jeans were seen with tuxedo jackets at Red Carpet events. I can't see when a kilt would not fit into a wardrobe (roofing or high-rise window washing excluded). I am glad to hear that the new kilt is the "right" kilt. Welcome to the site and get the lad involved here also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. Tarheel, while I certainly have my thoughts about the attitude that the kilt is not acceptable daily attire, I maintain that the public sees one going about mundane errands in Highland Attire much how we on XMTS would see someone doing so in a great kilt, Jacobite shirt, and ghillie brogues... that is to say, as an affectatious, misguided, and ostentatious show of some overblown Scottish-ness (notwithstanding that I personally could see a neatly arranged belted plaid successfully worn with smart daywear).

I would more suspect that the gentleman was not objecting to the wearing of any kilt, but the wearing of a Sport Kilt, which, despite its popularity, is not a particularly becoming ambassador of the "daily kilt". I would agree with the OP that the USAK Casual would impress upon the public a much more positive image of Highland Attire.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Livonian For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, Cizinec, Rocky and his crew do wonderful work. Would love to see some pics of you and your son kilted up!
    Last edited by Dughlas mor; 15th December 14 at 08:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Livonian View Post
    I would agree with the OP that the USAK Casual would impress upon the public a much more positive image of Highland Attire.
    Good point.

cizinec is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got him a Black Watch tartan because that's the tartan his younger brothers have. When he gets over his penchant for growing, I'll get him a Graham kilt (unless he gets himself one before I get the chance).

I would take him to the pub in Tulsa where my old friends play. They sell enough food there that it's not a "bar" and the ABLE commission hasn't banned it yet. I used to play in a ceili band in my teenage years in Tulsa myself. I seem to recall a few nights at the pub, although I don't remember how old I was when I started playing there - 16 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by kiltedtom View Post
    Cizinec,

Glad to see you here on the forum. I agree with you that USA Kilts, Rocky and crew, do wonderful work. What tartan did you get for your son? I have the Celtic Nations. I love it. I just was curious about one thing. Your son is 14. Does he go to the pub with you? (You did say that his Sport Kilt was not fit for a pub.) If he does, I know a lot of teen boys who will be moving to Oklahoma very quickly. LOL If I ever get out your way, I will be glad to take a pub tour with you.

Have a happy holiday season.

Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was wearing his Sportkilt out when we went to dinner and to family gatherings and it looked sloppy. When the kilt looked sloppy, he treated everything sloppily: his shirt was half-tucked, hose on different heights on each leg, etc. etc. I couldn't figure out why he wanted to wear one if he wasn't going to try to look decent in it.

He had the chance to wear a Sportkilt to his Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school for a class where they wore street clothes. In that case it was appropriate and worked out very well when he sparred (no hose, of course). To be honest, I think the other kids were intimidated by the guy who had the guts to wear a skirt to a fight.

My son just walked past me and he put on his kilt this morning. He looks really sharp. I didn't nag him or harass him to make himself look nicer. The simple fact that the kilt looks more squared away makes him see himself more squared away. He's become much more conscious of the way he looks and how that makes him perceived by others. I think the jeans analogy is fitting. The Sportkilt is like a pair of workout pants or old jeans. The USA Kilt is more like his khakis.

That's my pained theory, of course. It may be that he's just trying to impress the ladies who already ask about the kilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    This caught me off guard. There was a time (not long ago) when jeans were seen with tuxedo jackets at Red Carpet events. I can't see when a kilt would not fit into a wardrobe (roofing or high-rise window washing excluded). I am glad to hear that the new kilt is the "right" kilt. Welcome to the site and get the lad involved here also.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with your assessment. I tried three SportKilts back when they were made out of cotton/poly...they had a "pajama-like" feel. I've owned 14 USA Kilts casuals. One can be casual and still look nice.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He got up this morning for breakfast dressed in this. I told him it was a little dressed up for a Saturday.

His kilt hose are too big, but that's because they are MINE. That little turkey took them from me.

I am very pleased, however, with the kilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dughlas mor View Post
    Congrats, Cizinec, Rocky and his crew do wonderful work. Would love to see some pics of you and your son kilted up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast